1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Cemetery job part two...salary/revenue expectations?

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by FERT-TEK, Nov 17, 2019.

1. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Bronze Member

$15-20 in the midwest gets quite a bit further than new york for sure... I’d pass too but That’s really all it’s worth though. I can’t see a cemetery having a budget to pay much more than the going rate. Mowing crew member average pay is only $10-12 an hour around here, for example.

2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

$15-$20 is where it's going to be if he has no management roles and limited supervision. $10-$15 if they just want a basic laborer that is under supervision.

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

well you’re talking about ANNUAL revenue
    What will you being doing when it’s not mowing season ?

in house staff leader/ solo for that position you might see 30-40 grand ... depending on if it’s an actual year round position

cemeteries have terrible budgets
    Believe it or not people aren’t excited about dying to get in

4. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree.

5. OP
    OP
    FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

The hiring process sounds like a slam dunk. The job is mine if I want it. No interviews, resume etc.

Fyi, before being hired on the fire department, I maintained the athletic fields and school grounds for a local private high school. I am familiar with the equipment, ordering of supplies and related maintenance. As a firefighter I worked my way up to the position of Deputy Fire Chief. While there we did all of our own PM’s and routine maintenance. I have also supervised multiple stations of personnel and apparatus as well as fire ground incidents with ~ 75 + personnel.

6. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

How much do you think is fair pay for the work you'll be doing? That's what I would ask for.

With you being in Illinois and close to Chicago your pay should be $20+ per hour for running everything. Your doing the work and not sitting in the shop so if they give you a salary you still get OT. Ground care is seasonal so do you have winter work here? Are you also responsible for digging graves?

7. OP
    OP
    FERT-TEK

From what, I was told in a hurried five minute phone conversation by one of the cemetery board members, it is a seasonal job (midwest), working hours are 7am to 1pm, M-F, equipment maintenance is part of the work, all graves are dug buy union gravediggers, the cemetary will cover liability insurance and training costs for $40K salery. There are more details which will be revealed in a meeting coming up. My purpose for this thread was to educate myself on the pitfalls of this type of work and the overall scope of work to be expected.

8. OP
    OP
    FERT-TEK

From what, I was told in a hurried five minute phone conversation by one of the cemetery board members, it is a seasonal job (midwest), working hours are 7am to 1pm, M-F, equipment maintenance is part of the work, all graves are dug buy union gravediggers, the cemetary will cover liability insurance and training costs for $40K salery. There are more details which will be revealed in a meeting coming up. My purpose for this thread was to educate myself on the pitfalls of this type of work and the overall scope of work to be expected.

9. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

What to expect get good with trimming around stones and cut as much as you can with the mower.

I used to cut a big cemetery on the Southside. I sat on mower all day but the trimmer guys would complain a bunch.

40k is reasonable for this position.

10. OP
    OP
    FERT-TEK