Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking on a cemetery job. need a few pointers from someone who already does these. The one I am getting is approximately 6-acreas. Will be payin year round. I will wait on responses!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Good luck they are lots of work. The one I do there is 110 stones flowers on all most all of them & more stones showing up all the time. The mowing is not bad takes two days. It's about 20 achers & lots of hills. Lots of open areas with no stones yet. The trimming is the time taker. Take the flowers off trim put them back. It can be a lot of work for two men but it pays & some ones got to do it. :dizzy: :eek:

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I have two Cemeteries.........Just my opinon, buy this weekwacker. WHY"? The bent shaft lets you stand in one place and trim lower stones without having to walk around them. This saves a ton a walking and time. Also, it is commerical rated, and about the lightest machine in that catagory.

Metal Tool Nickel Triangle Titanium

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
are they tall gravestones or the short ones u can hardly see in the tall grass? did a cleanup for a church with low gravestones
didn't see a row of them and pushed them all in a nice neat pile.
hope i put them back in the right order. hope u have better luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
we cut a good size cemetery i use Protrim form Lesco to spray aroung the head stones it last about 8 week then you have to trim them and spray again it stop the groth of the grass but does not kill the grass or change the color of the grass

Gene

·
Registered
220 Posts
I currently mow 5 of them. It is kind of neat where some of the stones are from the 1700's and tell a story about the persons life. It is sad where you see recent stones that are for young children. One says on it " 17 forever ". Overall it depends on the condition and grade of the turf. Some of the older graves, before cement vaults, have sunken down about a foot. Get ready for a ton of trimming. I am ready to trade in my belt drive w/b for a hydro. My forearms still hurt from today. Switchless is right about the curved shaft on smaller stones. Light weight and less walking.

·
Registered
90 Posts
and got burnt, talked about, lied to, and gave bad referals. took two people with 38" murray riders, 21" push mowers, and trimmers about 6-7 hours to do complete job right. pay was a whopping $150.00 cash, about 7 years ago. think twice before you sign on to do it.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I mow our church cemetary - 1 acre - 289 stones:

Trimming takes a long time - about an hr for that number of stones.

Be careful and bid high - I donate my time to the church, but I can see that it is a job you would need adequate compensation for.

Thanks, Brad

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Originally posted by Flex-Deck
Trimming takes a long time - about an hr for that number of stones.

Be careful and bid high - I donate my time to the church, but I can see that it is a job you would need adequate compensation for.

Thanks, Brad
And, I'm sure for certain Cemeteries, the Flex-deck option can be time saver, too.

·
Registered
296 Posts
a little trick for trimming, one guy on each side of the stones. when you walk down a row of them you each trim half of the stone, cuts your time in half. Redmax suck! i've got to wear a brace on my hand now because there handels are so screwy

-----------/----- guy A
-- -- -- -- -- stones <--- direction of travel
-----------\----- guy B

·
Registered
386 Posts
Cemeteries are early death to riding equipment. The average terrain and obsticles in a cemetery are extremly hard on riding equipment. When bidding figure in added equipment repairs.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Originally posted by sdwally
Cemeteries are early death to riding equipment. The average terrain and obsticles in a cemetery are extremly hard on riding equipment. When bidding figure in added equipment repairs.
Yes, and death to the operator, too. That's why use WB's with velkies.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I used to do 4 of them, and now am down to 2.

As switchless said it can save you time if the stones are short in height to use a curved shaft trimmer.
I took the guard off of the one i used and that made it very easy to just reach over and hit the other side when trimming.

The bigger one i do takes 20 hrs to mow( two z-masters 52 &72") and it takes with the growth we've been having 31 hrs to trim it each time.
The small one takes 8 hours to mow & trim.

If the grass gets too long it can be murder on your equipment as others have said.

Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my uncle use to do this cemetery. he also did preps for funerals, also cleanups after funerals. he also refilled when ground dropped. pretty much did it all. this is in an area where i grew up & i have relatives & freinds in this cemetery. i know it's a lot of work. my mom & dad use to work for the same funeral home that is in charge of this cemetery, they are good people to work with.

·
Registered
505 Posts
lawnman20 we cut a good size cemetery i use Protrim form Lesco to spray aroung the head stones it last about 8 week then you have to trim them and spray again it stop the groth of the grass but does not kill the grass or change the color of the grass
I think your on to something. I dig graves at one cemetery (but don't mow). Have been approached about it though. Just don't pay enough. But if you mowed it every other week and only had to trim every 4th cutting (every 8 weeks like lawnman said) it might pan out. Appx 6 acres for $3200 a year.I would have to guess there is appx at least 500 stones of all shapes and sizes. Also I have a flex-deck on a 36" wb that I know would work wonders getting around all those head stones and uneven terrain. That thing is a real time saver when it comes to trimming. Just all those darn flowers stuck in the ground, what a nightmare. Marc :dizzy:

·
Registered
446 Posts
In one of the cemetarys I do, there have been jars of cut flowers inserted in the ground. Talk about dangerous!
Iv'e raised my rates, but they keep paying.
Ipersonally would like to get out of the cemetary!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.