Centipede or Zoysia

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by daviddsims1, Oct 21, 2018.

1. daviddsims1

daviddsims1 LawnSite Member

I currently have centipede but have one section of the front lawn that has palisades zoysia. I prefer the look of the zoysia and was thinking of killing the centipede and re-sodding with zoysia in the spring. The area will get full sun and I have irrigation, only downside is I use a rotary JD riding mower but supposedly palisades does ok without a reel. Anything else I should consider and plan before spring?

2. takervader

takervader LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Test the soil pH. Zoysia will like it between 6-6.5. Centipede likes it below 6.

You will need to adjust the pH if this is what you want to do, and preferably do that while grass is dormant.

3. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Where are you located? Without knowing all your factors, off the top of my head I'd say centipede. I maintain a good # of both BTW.

4. daviddsims1

I’m in North Louisiana, soil p.H is about a 6. The small section of palisades zoysia looks significantly better.

5. takervader

from Alabama

Centipede likes low P, higher Fe and Mn in the soil, along with the lower pH.

At 6 both should be fine, if you want centipede then start applying Tiger 90 and the centipede will start taking over. Pick which one you want to see every day.

6. daviddsims1

Should I wait until spring to apply the sulfur since the grass is going dormant?

7. takervader

from Alabama

No, you can start doing that now that it is going dormant.

I only adjust pH levels on grass while the turf is asleep.

hort101 likes this.
  8. daviddsims1

What rate would you apply with a current p.H of 6?

9. takervader

from Alabama

If I were keeping Centipede I'd probably do this gradually, over a couple of years, until I get to 5.5. It takes A LOT of Tiger 90 sulfur to drop the pH.

Adding 0.75 pound of elemental sulfur per 100 square feet will lower the pH level by one point as a general rule. You'll need half of that, so about 0.4/100. If sandy soil less, if mostly clay, more. I know N La varies by how far you are from the river. And you don't want to do all that at once either, split it up into two installments per offseason over a few years. So figure out how many sq feet your lawn grass covers, and then figure with 50lb bags of Tiger 90 Sulfur (0-0-0-90%). Those should be about $25-30 a bag.

But I'd probably just limit myself to 400lbs max over a winter unless the lawn is tiny, one in November when it goes to sleep and maybe another in March.

daviddsims1 likes this.
  10. daviddsims1

Thanks for the help, I'm going to go with Palisades in the front yard which is only about 4,000 sq feet and keep my centipede in the back yard which is about 18,000 sq feet. I will use the sulfur in the back yard where the centipede is in much better shape than the front.

hort101 likes this.