Centipede Recovery time?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Elite Turf, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Elite Turf

Elite Turf LawnSite Member

So I thought I was safe during February to treat Centipede with .35oz MSM, 32oz Atrazine, 1oz Certainty and .5oz Quicksilver (all rates are per Acre) in order to clean up a yard. I haven’t seen it in two weeks but the homeowner says it’s starting to green up but nothing like his neighbor. I wonder if this is just normal delayed green up or if I should expect actual damage?? Steep learning curve on Centipede. Humble pie!

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

It's gonna be 2 or 3 weeks later than non treated lawns IME. And you may see damage, sorry to be the one to tell you. Hopefully, maybe I'm wrong but......I've been here done this.

hort101 likes this.
  3. ETM

ETM LawnSite Silver Member
    from GEORGIA

Not steep at all. I can pm you how to grow it if you want. Where are you located?

hort101 likes this.
  4. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Fanatic
    from nc

That’s a pretty hot mix for centipede. Seems a lot of herbicides were targeting same weed types?

Patience is key. Gallery or no pre and see how it comes out.

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i wouldn't spray it. it will take care of itself.

jcollett83 and hort101 like this.
  6. jds912

jds912 LawnSite Member

If the turf is in transition to active growth, you definitely will slow green up .I wouldn't sweat it until active growth soil temps arrive and have been there for a couple weeks. I prefer to go real easy with herbicide when grass is near active growth soil temperatures. I prefer to have some fertilizer down before hitting hard with herbicides.

7. OP
    OP
    Elite Turf

South Carolina Please DO!!

8. OP
    OP
    Elite Turf

We were at least 90% Dormant. I honestly assumed we were dormant enough to hit it with whatever safely. I did not check to see if stolens were green but I would say that they were...

9. OP
    OP
    Elite Turf

Attacking mature plants. I did not have faith that the Atrazine by itself would control the Poa or broadleafs nor would the Certainty control mature poa by itself at that rate. Carfentrazone and MSM to help with broadleafs. MSM is so cheap I thought Why Not? I would agree it was overkill but I didn't want to make a return visit if possible and being "Dormant" I wasn't concerned about injury. Trial by Fire I guess...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  10. OP
    OP
    Elite Turf

Thanks. It is what it is at this point. Lessons Learned