1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Centipede to Zoysia

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Mac B., Apr 13, 2008.

1. Mac B.

Mac B. LawnSite Member

If I were to do this what is the correct and easiest way to go from centipede to zoysia? Would I have to kill off the centipede or would the zoysia choke it out? Also what variety should I use? I have been looking at plugs from Amazoy and Meyers plugs.

Thanks Mac

2. Mac B.

Mac B. LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever done this before?

Mac

3. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I would not use plugs, they grow way to slowly and also from reading about all the horror stories about Amazoy I would stay clear of using that company, you can do to Turfgrass.com and do a search to see what I am talking about, also they maybe able to help you more on that site than here. Good luck
    I personally would kill off the centipede and than sod it. I have Emerald Zoysia but unless you want to invest in a reel I would use Meyers or Zeon.

4. echo8287

echo8287 LawnSite Member
    from Ga

Zoysia will choke the crap out of Centipede in a cage match. Seriously I have some Centipede at my house and some of the Zoysia washed down a little pathway and in one season has choked the Centipede out of an area about 20x 20. I can't get the Zoysia to grow where I want it to.Grows everywhere I don't want it to. It's a very stubborn grass.David