1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Certificate of Responsibility

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by RwADesigner, Mar 30, 2002.

  1. RwADesigner

    RwADesigner LawnSite Member
    Messages: 107

    Hey all!
    Just graduated from college with degree in Landscape Architecture and I am starting my own business. I have had good luck with getting Landscape Designs and installations....but I am wanting to go into maintenance also. I recently bid and won a very nice commercial job, but it wasnt awarded to me because I didnt have a Certificate of Responsibility. Any job that is over 50k/year requires this in MS. Has anybody ever heard of this....know where to get it....any guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys......

    Life is short....be loose and have fun!!!!! :)
  2. MOW ED

    MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,028

    I'm thinking that it has to do with insurance. Your business insurance agent will furnish these certs to you at no charge for presentation to customers (usually commercial) to prove to them that you are insured.
    Personally, I have never been asked for one but I don't do installs.
  3. RwADesigner

    RwADesigner LawnSite Member
    Messages: 107

    Ya.. I will check on that..but i need it for Maintenance only. Im hoping that it is only through my insurance company. The lady at the contractors office said I was gonna have to take a contractors test......I couldnt imagine why. Because im not building houses or buildings. Thanks for your reply..

  4. rodfather

    rodfather LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 9,501

    Never heard of a Certificate of Responsibility...only a Certificate of Insurance. Then again, I'm from Joisey.

    Maybe it pertains to something like being "bonded"? Dunno right now...hope to find out though cause I'm kind of interested.
  5. gusbuster

    gusbuster LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,931

    Cert of responsibility can also be a job performance bond, at least here in CA it's called that, but most of it is liability insurance.

    As to needing a contractor lisc, pretty much state to state, anybody doing work above a certain dollar value (CA is $500) you need an appropriate contractor license.

  6. tailoredlook

    tailoredlook LawnSite Member
    Messages: 142

    Here in PA its a certificate of assurance which is a bond. They just want to make sure the job if awarded to you actually gets done. otherwise you pay them to pay someone else to do the job.
  7. RwADesigner

    RwADesigner LawnSite Member
    Messages: 107

    Where do i get it?

Share This Page