1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Certified in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pfeiff, Jan 24, 2005.

  1. pfeiff

    pfeiff LawnSite Member
    Messages: 20

    How can I be a fully certified Lawn Care In Ohio? Pay taxes, Incurred what else? I'm 16 and i want to be fully certified so i can take on Commercial Accounts. thanks
  2. Mowman29

    Mowman29 LawnSite Member
    from OH
    Messages: 106

    All test from the state require you to be 18 to apply chemicals. You also have to get a FED Tax ID # and I believe you must be at least 18 to apply for one. They cost 350-500 and you must go to a lawyer to have it done. Just wait until you are 18 and graduate form school before you start your own business. Get a job with someone in that field and learn before you start your own.
  3. tonygreek

    tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,829

    you don't have to go to a lawyer to get a TIN. you can either use your SS#, or if you want a TIN, you can go online, fill out a short form, and receive it instantly for no charge.

    pfeiff, you really should use the "starting a new business" forum. the under 18 issue is often addressed, and you'll probably see your thread on page 1 more than it will in this high-traffic forum.

  4. pfeiff

    pfeiff LawnSite Member
    Messages: 20

    Im not applying chemicals im just mowing and landscaping. does it matter?
  5. lqmustang

    lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 620

    The main thing you need for mow only is a service vendors license for sales tax. I am not sure if there is an age restriction for this.
  6. Smitty58

    Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 531

    Check out this site. www.sos.state.oh.us/sos/
    It will help you with starting a business. You do not have to have a lawyer or pay anything to get a tax ID#. All you do is call the IRS and tell them you want to apply for a federal tax ID# and they will step you through the process. It will only take a few minutes on the phone and they will give you the number.
    However if you are going solo you don't need anything. At the end of the year just file your taxes as usual with your mowing income and expenses added in.
  7. snap12.5

    snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio
    Messages: 288

    smitty - u said that if u are going solo u dont need anything. u dont need a fed tax id # and what else??? and when doing taxes with ur mowing income and expenses added in, can u just use the 1040EZ tax form or are u referring to something else???? help greatly appreciated
  8. Wells

    Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT
    Messages: 0

    Here is another link that should help you get started.

    Snap 12.5,
    What Smitty is referring to is if you operate as a sole propriator you do not need to file for a Tax ID# because you do your business taxes with your personal taxes, and no you can't use the EZ form when doing business taxes. You need to do the long forms so you can write off your expences.
  9. Mowman29

    Mowman29 LawnSite Member
    from OH
    Messages: 106

    Why do you guys influence everyone into getting into this business. And not tell them the proper way of starting a business. Their are many start-up cost involed in starting a ligit landscape maintance business. All I was saying was, he needs to learn a little about landscaping because if I or some other company get a call from one of his cliets they expect us to mow their lawn for the same price (ex. $20 ) and expect a perfect job when the job so be $50-$60. that all I saying. I had workers that was 16-18 and they had no clue how to properly maintain a yard we are Professionals not backyard lawnboys. That all I saying it will be difficult for a 16 year old to mow yards and still go to school. HE wants to be a true professional then he needs to get some experience first. about the lawyer thing mine help me set up the state and fed papers to obtain a licence the state fee was included.
  10. Smitty58

    Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 531

    pfeiff's original post was asking how to be certified in lawn care so he could take on commercial accounts. I was just trying to help him answer that question. I would however advise anyone starting out to do residentials or small commercial props for the first year. They only requirement for mowing commercial is liability insurance and that amount could be different. There isn't a set amount needed for all commercial properties. What I have seen is 1 million ,but some may be more and some less. As far as the age thing goes I don't see where age has anything to do with ability. I've seen young people who are go getters and do a great job ,and I've also seen older people who do a lousy job. There are a bunch of people "mowing" lawns which does make for some competiton ,and if you are legit that makes it tough to compete. If you compete solely on price you won't win and there are some customers whose only concern is price. I don't want them for clients anyway. If you want to be a "professional" then sell yourself as such and don't worry about the lawnboy stealing your jobs. This site is for sharing and helping each other ,so telling someone who is starting out that they need to get a lawyer and spend a fortune to me is just wrong. I commend any young person for having the ambition to start their own company and I am always willing to help them. We need more people like that.

Share This Page