Certified Pesticide Applicator schooling

GrassBeard

LawnSite Member
Hey everyone! Looking for some advice. I would like to become certified as a licensed pesticide/herbicide applicator in TN so I can add it to my list of services. Is there an online college that offers this degree that you would recommend?

Thanks

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Look into a community college or a class through the licensing people
Imo hands on is better for learning ymmv

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Hey everyone! Looking for some advice. I would like to become certified as a licensed pesticide/herbicide applicator in TN so I can add it to my list of services. Is there an online college that offers this degree that you would recommend?

Thanks
Lots of the tests are pretty state specific.
Aside from knowing what chem works best for you in your environment (which is experience based not taught)
Most of the rest of the knowledge you will need is state laws about applying RUP.
So online courses are pretty much going to be a waste of money.
Almost every state I’ve heard of has a pre test class, depending on the state they teach anything from entomology to plant ID, but mostly it’s math... how much of what to use in which area for which pest and reading labels.
The name of the game not over applying and knowing how to handle and transport concentrate safely.
Some states don’t even have a pest ID section (which is weird)
But what you’re looking for is a local in person class you take to prepare you to take the test.
Ask around there’s got to be one... could cost anywhere from $150 to $500 for the course.

hackitdown

LawnSite Gold Member
I have a Massachusetts license. I downloaded the course book (free), read it a couple of times, took the sample tests, re-read the book, then scheduled the real test.

I'm going for a Rhode Island test soon. In RI, the course is mandatory, then you can take the test.