1. Ask the Expert: Fertilization Strategies for Success: Dec. 12, 2017
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: Dec. 12, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .


Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lawn-Scapes, Apr 4, 2002.

  1. Lawn-Scapes

    Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,810

    Are you certified? How?

    What is required by your state to become certified for pesticide application?

    Maryland says: "In order to become certified as a pest control applicator, an individual must have at least one year of practical pesticide application experience as a registered employee in the category, or categories, in which he/she wants to become certified. A degree in a biological field such as biology, botany, horticulture, entomology, agronomy, etc. may qualify in lieu of experience. The individual must pass examinations administered by MDA."

    Is it different from state to state?
  2. CHAN

    CHAN LawnSite Member
    from AL.
    Messages: 132

    In Alabama you send off for 3 books from Auburn and study then go to Montgomery Dept. of Ag and take a test. If you pass you get the Lic. Then get permit. Dont understand this though I bidd on a state job that required app. Pest.,Herb.,Inset., and Fungi. 4 times a year. I was the only one Lic. and didnt get the Job. They Usally dont allow subbing work out. So what is a lic. realy worth.

    LAWNPROzII LawnSite Member
    Messages: 78

    In Kansas you have to pay a business licensing fee with the state $100.00. Pick which category you would like to be licensed in. Send away for the books, study and take the tests which costs $60.00 per catergory. You must hold liability insurance or some other monetary bond.
  4. tremor

    tremor LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,476

    CT Supervisory 3a: (for grounds & shrubs to 15') rumored to be the most difficult test in the US with CO & CA close behind. A little easier since '85 when I first took it. 150 questions. 10-20 slides. 10 mounts. Oral exam if you pass (80% DON'T)

    CT Arborist: Passed in '88 when DEP & Consumer Protection handled jointly. Also a little easier today. DEP administrates entirely. 150 question written. Field ID at one of state arboretums. Oral if you pass.

    NY Supervisory 3a: 30 hour course, 3 years of aprenticed experience, open book written test is a joke.

    Hold Restricted Use Pesticide Dealer liscence in NJ, NY, CT, & MA. All very easy tests. If you can understand the difference between the various licences & read, you'll pass any of these.

    Rumor is that a Cat 10 licence from CT supercedes all other states. If so, I'd like to get one so I can drop some of the other states. Does anyone know if this is true?

  5. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    For Michigan, you must pass your state D of A Core test, along with the classifications (categories) you will be using. (i.e. 3a and 3b Turf and ornamental) With this, you become certified. You must carry this certification with two years experience working for a LICENSED applicator, OR have a four year degree in the agronomic field to become licensed as an applicator. Of course, after this, it requires proof of insurance coverage in this field along with these credentials to aquire a business licence in this field. Even then, we are required to stay updated, recieving credit hours through seminars, and/or retesting every three years. RUPs, of course, require a completely seperate program on top of this.

Share This Page