1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

chain saw bars

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by 1MajorTom, Dec 28, 2006.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Former Moderator

when cutting firewood or felling a tree, what size bar and chain for your chainsaw do you prefer?

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Thats kindof newbie question. I would think you would us a bar big enough to cut trough the diameter of the wood being cut. But not use one too big. 2-16" diameter use 18" bar but not a 36" bar

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I always use at least a 18" bar. One reason is because I don't like to be bending over all day using a short bar.

4. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on the size of the wood you're cutting. Obviously you don't want a 3' bar for 10" wood. You also don't want a 16" bar for 3' diameter logs.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You also have to know that your saw has enough ample power to pull a chain of that length. I've seen people underpower a saw plenty of times. Remember,... gear toward the hardwood.

6. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Like everybody says, the right size for the job, but if I only was going to have 1 saw I would want an 18" - big enough to get through just about anything but not extremely overkill either for smaller stuff. Right now I've got a 20" Stihl and a 14" Echo so I can pretty much choose the right saw for the job. Before these I only had an underpowered 18" Poulan but made due with it.

7. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I typically do all my tree work with a 16" bar and rarely do I find myself in need of a larger bar, but with that being said I also don't do alot of tree work through out the year.

8. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

More than one.

Almost everybody I know that does that professionally, has more than one saw.

It's not a question of what size, but how many sizes. Now if it's just firewood, many folks I know use 20" and a light, strong saw. Firewood cutting usually means holding a saw for much more time than cutting trees.

Even the country clubs I worked at years ago, had 3 or 4 chainsaws to match the right saw to certain trunk sizes.

My saws range from small Echo, to medium Stihl, maxing with a Husky 385XP - bars all the way to 30".

9. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

14' Echo: climbing/bucket saw
    24" Husky 372: Just about anything
    36" Husky 395: Big stuff
    54" bar for the 395. Yes it does get used. A couple of times I've had to cut from both sides with it.

10. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I'd like to see that tree!