1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Change mind about customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GW Lawncare, Apr 11, 2002.

1. GW Lawncare

GW Lawncare LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I've heard you guys talk about dropping customers or wanting to, but has anyone started talking to a potential customer and the longer you talk to them the less you want their account. I had this today, it started out as typical residential, then he starts saying.... "Maybe cut every 10 days", "the grass part is only about 1/3 acre", " I might consider a new tractor". Seemed like he was fishing for me give him a reason NOT to hire me. Which i figure some will, but geez, we can't do yards for 5-10 bucks.

Just a thought.
    Thanks as always!

2. mikal

mikal LawnSite Member

10 days doesnt sound bad. I live in a poor area and some go 2 weeeks.:( but what can you do ya know. cant beat the money.

3. GW Lawncare

GW Lawncare LawnSite Member

I forgot to mention he has a sprinkler system, mostly shadded lawn and wants to start a fert program. Recipe for fast grow. Similar to another account, has to be cut weekly without miss.

4. mikal

mikal LawnSite Member

explain to him the grow rate and pay rate for higher grass and if he doesnt like it, dump him

5. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Company policy, no ten days, no matter what. End of discussion. That would take care of that kind of customer quick. I have had a few ask me this spring about two weeks and I tell them no way. They always say thank you and hang up.

I won't even take on two weeks.
    I still have one left, but I really can't get rid of it with out getting rid of a weekly. It is a mother daughter living side by side. Mow the daughters ever week and the moms every 2. So I am not driving out of my way any for a non profitable yard. And since they don't hassle me, I will keep mowing for them.

6. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Once I start full time, it's going to be just weeklys for me, and eventually all on a yearly plan. :D

Hank

7. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree, NO "10 day" accounts. Weekly on most, a few bi-weekly.

8. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

" Yes Mrs. Tightly, I can do your lawn every ten days or two weeks, whatever you would like. Let me give you my prices. First if you would like weekly it will be $30.00. Every two weeks will be $70.00 per mow as I will have to take extra time to make up for the skipped week. Every ten days will be $55.00 per mow as I will have to drive out of my route area half the time and there will be extra growth to take care of each visit. I would take the 10/day schedule if I was you.":angry: That should take care of it.:laugh: Cruel is what I am .

9. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

Every 10 days is screwed up but biweekly is not bad. like on every other wednesday i do ms x then the other two wednesdays i do ms z. works out pretty good.