1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Changing blades ??

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by John Siwinski, Apr 19, 2004.

1. John Siwinski

John Siwinski LawnSite Member

Hi Everyone: I just bought my first Exmark mower, M4815KA and need some advice/ help with changing the blades. Is there a place that I get get some help ? Owner's manual is not very good on the details. Need to know #1- Do I lean the mower all the way back on the handlebars, #2- What size wrench or socket should I use, #3- Do the bolts loosen counterclockwise or clockwise. #4- also what is the factory setting for cutting height ?? Thanks, I'm looking forward to using my machine.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

John,

Congratulations!

When changing blades there are a couple of things that can make life a whole lot easier. First I'd get a set of jack stands to hold the front of the mower up while working under the deck. You'll also need two 15/16" wrenches or a wrench, socket and breaker bar. I'd recommend not using a ratchet. You can use one but I've found they make don't work as well as a couple of good wrenches. You can also use a pneumatic or electric impact wrench which really makes blade changes MUCH easier.

The Metro uses a "through" bolt with a nut on the top. You'll need to hold the bolt or the nut with one wrench and turn the other with the second wrench. It's a good idea to use gloves while doing this just in case wrench should slip. The blade bolts have a standard RH thread. When the mowers leave the factory the blade are usually pretty tight. This is reasonably important because a blade bolt that is not tight can "self" tighten during use making blade bolt removal much more difficult.

Please give me a call at 800-667-5296 if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Terry