Changing oil,belts,blades

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Chop chop lawns, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Chop chop lawns

Chop chop lawns LawnSite Member

What is the normal maintenance schedule you use, I'm thinking .monthly to change or sharpen blades, oil monthly, belts inspected weekly. Thanks for the help. Also it'll be a small operation. So I will not be mowing everyday

2. TrainingWheels

TrainingWheels LawnSite Bronze Member

I just check them the blades, belts and oil. If there bad I swap em' or sharpen them. I check to make sure the blades are sharp by the thumb they don't need to be razor sharp. Lots of ways to sharpen them, you can read up on them...I just use a bench grinder from HF (caveat is that some folks think it'll lose the temper).

I do measure all the belts and write them in sharpie on the deck under the shroud and buy them from Tractor Supply or online.

I'd say the big thing is: cylinder fins make sure they are clean as well as the fan.

Good luck and welcome to the club!

BR,

~TW

hort101 likes this.
  3. Chop chop lawns

Thanks, any knowledge shared is greatly appreciated

4. Kevin Raposa

Kevin Raposa LawnSite Member

yes the most important thing is to check that the cooling fins and the fan blades are clean. I've repaired lots of head gaskets due to clogged fins around the engine head. oil change every 50 hours. belts check every spring, if signs off wear replace

hort101 likes this.
  5. grobinsonpa

grobinsonpa LawnSite Member

Hello again, I answered your post on the lawn equipment forum. You said that you have one of the old style Lazers. I feel that this is one of the best zero turns ever made. They are very durable and are relatively easy to work on. I have 2 of them, one is the Toro version (Z Master) with a 27 hp Kohler and a 2004 eXmark Lazer with a 23hp Kohler. Toro owns eXmark so the Lazers and Z Masters are like Chevy and GMC pickups. Anyway, you asked about maintenance schedules. I change my engine oil, oil filter, and grease the machine every 100 hours. I sharpen my blades once a week. Annually, I change my hydro oil ,hydro filter, air filter, fuel filter, and spark plugs. The belts I look at weekly but I keep a complete spare set on hand. They only have 3 belts. There is nothing worse than shredding a belt on a Saturday afternoon and having no place to go and buy a replacement. ... Because there are so many of these machines in use, aftermarket spare parts are available from a bunch of sources. I buy a lot of parts from eBay & Amazon. The 2 things I will not buy aftermarket are oil filters and hydro oil filters. I use Kohler oil filters and eXmark / Toro hydro filters.
    The owners manual and parts manual are available as free downloads from eXmarks web site.
    Feel free to post ANY questions here about your machine. There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks here that post regularly.
    Again, welcome to Lawnsite and all the best with your machine, George

hort101 likes this.
  6. Chop chop lawns

I'm not sure when he last serviced the machine thou I no he that followed the dealers maintance schedule to the T. An never cheaped out on anything.

7. Chop chop lawns

Another question though it's a completely different beast, on harley a run a slightly bigger oil filter do you guys do the same on a mower.

8. Kevin Raposa

i use a car oil filter if they cross reference with the OEM number. because their better quality

9. Kevin Raposa

same for a motorcycle

10. JagT20N

JagT20N LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from will county Il

one thing you might want to invest in if it does not have one is a hobbs meter to keep track of hours , for hours of inspection I do a quick walk around before firing the machine up , the only thing I cannot see is the deck belt as its under a bolt down cover , but when I grease it every 2 weeks I check it and the idlers and tension , one company I know they use color paint dots to specify hours intervals near the items . but still the guys to a visual and fluids check every time they fire it up , and they fire them up at the shop before they leave to make sure they work before they go to the jobsite .

and then when you change things like filters you write the date and hours and oil type on the filter with a sharpie ( you can write service notes on the machine and the sharpie wipes off with a little acetone on a rag so you can change it ( we put most of the info under the hood ( if it has one ) so its not seen ) , so its a back up on your written maintance records , SO get a 3 ring binder for your unit/s ( everythign should be written down and major repairs noted ( date, cost and who did the work ) also in it so when you resell you have proof of record (lots of times this makes the sale and price you want ) and put the manuals in them and also write down things like filter, belt blade ,spark plug numbers to make it easier to reorder them and put any maintance items that get regulalry done in the front so you do not have to search for the specs or process ( belt patterns )

and also keep 2 spares of everything on hand ( specially on hard to find or long shipping time items ) and shop around on the internet for spares , beware of belts that are cheap , try to buy a mid priced or namebrand ( Gates , Dayco, A&I ) or OEms one . I have found some crappy belts that you mow once , then you throw them away as they stretch out or glaze up that quick .

clean the machine every time you use it , specially the motors ( power supply and hydraulic drive ) a little dust holds in a lot of heat . a small air compressor and nozzle will help keep it at bay , a washdown before you change the oil will do it real good . do not use a pressure sprayer near gaskets or seals as it will blow them apart and you get leaks , a garden hose is plenty .

grease this is a vry important thing , I have learned from working on equipment thats hundreds of thosands of dollars to millions , its important to buy a good grease for the job , use the type of grease the factory says too there is no such thing as a universal grease . I have 3 types of greases for my machine and they are for different functions , to me its cheap insurance a 7 dollar tube once every 2 months vs a $200+ dollar spindle ( mine are hard to find ) it kind of says it all . and many of the units that come in a little grease would have saved them a major $$$ repair . Read your owners manual front to back important items in the service manual ( IF you do not have one get a copy of it ) . write down the serial number of the machine , the engine #'s and type , ( save a copy in the 3 ring binder ussually front page or permanetly marked in cover ) it does several purposes , one you do not have to go out to the trailer to get the info if you need to ask a question here , 2. it makes it easier to order parts instead of having to walk out at 0'dark thirty at night to get it when you rin your skivys , 3 . in case the unit is stolen you have proof of ownership and a way to possibly getting it back if found . also take pictures of the unit ( all sides and any odd identifying damage or items and the serial number plates if possible ) and put the info on it and put them in the binder ) If it every happens the more info the P.D. has the happier they are as it makes there jobs easier . I think I kind of covered all the bases . ( sorry its so long )

good luck , welcome to the ayslum ...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    hort101 likes this.