Changing oil in my new Hustler Fastrak 54

osueric27

LawnSite Member
Hello all. I just bought a new Hustler Fastrak 54 with the Kaw FS691V at the end of summer. I am ready to put it away for the winter and also change the oil for the first time. The manual is telling me either 10W 30 or 10W 40. Not sure which one to go with as it states t is based upon temperature in the operating environment. I am in Southern Indiana and will probably operate from late March through November so temps will range from 50 degrees to well in the 90's.

1. Which weight would be recommended?
2. I would like to use synthetic, anyone suggest a good brand for this type of engine?

Thanks for the help!

Eric

luis@NJ

LawnSite Senior Member
10-30 sounds the best i heard a lot of guys using mobil

Capemay Eagle

LawnSite Bronze Member
Some suggest that you break in with standard oil then you can switch to a synthetic. Don't know if it is true, but I have been doing the first few oil changes on any of my equipment this way! If they still distribute it, Hustler makes an oil called Super oil! I don't think it is synthetic and may be the oil in the engine when you bought it! That would be a question for PJ in the Hustler forum!

I myself like the Amsoil small engine 10-30 if I can find it! I also use the Amsoil 0W40 in the quads, I have to read up on it, I am curios if I can run that in the mower also?

Wink'sLawnManag.

LawnSite Member
What did you go with in it?

1. Which weight would be recommended?
2. I would like to use synthetic, anyone suggest a good brand for this type of engine?

Thanks for the help!

Eric[/QUOTE]

rippinryno

LawnSite Gold Member
This thread was from 2012 so you're probably not going to get a response, lol.

These things aren't picky. Mobil 1, you're in a hot area so 10w40 would be a good weight.
Amsoil, hustler (made by amsoil), kawasaki, etc. are all good oils.

You will see people here stating that the branded oils like kawasaki or hustler or exmark are the best, but really it doesn't make a bit of difference. I personally run the amsoil small engine oil and i extend my service intervals using that. You could run shell rotella 15w40 and have zero issues for years and that's a conventional oil. the blue bottle is the synthetic.

tons of options, just run the proper weight for your climate and you will never have a problem.