• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Changing/Sharpening Blades on 48 Exmark Metro

Pizpoppa

LawnSite Member
Its about time for me to sharpen/change the blades on my Exmark Metro 48 mower. I propped it up, was able to get to it, but I just could not get the damn things off. I must say, though, I am not the best with my hands. Do I need a special tool? Is it just really hard to do? Any advice would be appreciated.

jeffyr

LawnSite Senior Member
The first time this season (spring, summer, fall) ?

I heard if you use sharpening fluid in the spindles though, you don't have to sharpen them at all.

Sorry Pizpoppa.......couldn't resist. Seriously....

I do it the old fashioned way...I have a 2 foot breaker bar so my hands stay clear of the sharp parts and a crescent on top.

jeff

RYAN

LawnSite Member
It is a rather simple process you loosen the bolts on the top and bottem of the spindle simultaneosly. Blades should be sharpened once a week at the very least, unless you only mow a lawn or two a week.. Hope this isn't the first time this year.

Vandora Lawn & Landscape

LawnSite Senior Member
Two solutions buy impact wrench or goto your friendly neighborhood gas station and ask the mecanic to pop them of when you fill up your tank. I got a used mower with siezed up bolts and that was the only way to get them off.

Esby

LawnSite Senior Member
I also own a 48 inch Metro, to get the blades off you need a rather large wrench to get enough torque to loosen them, once you got them loose, the bolt just spins off. Put a little muscle into it along with a good long handle. Good luck.

little green guy

LawnSite Senior Member
If a wrench, breaker bar or impact wrench won't do it use a torch and heat up the top nut then wrench it of, that should work. I've had to do that a couple times when someones hit something and bent a blade and the bolt got tightened up so bad I couldn't even get it of with a impact wrench.

TJLC

LawnSite Bronze Member
I had the same problem on my Exmark Viing hydro until I bought an air compressor and impact wrench. I did it the hard way for a yr or so and then cut my thumb pretty bad. That was enough for me. It's a piece of cake now. When you sharpen everyday, I can't imagine removing blades the old manual way.

Five Star Lawn Care LLC

LawnSite Bronze Member
AIR TOOLS

an air impact wrench is a landscpers best friend, makes scraped knuckles and breaker bars a thing of the past. I wouldnt trade my air set-up for anything, it has saved me so much time on equipment maintnace. Deffinatly worth the investment.