• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Changing spark plug

FitzRightYardServices

LawnSite Senior Member
I know the owners manual gives you a hour count but half the stuff in there does not help in the real world.

How often does everyone change spark plugs on their mower and other equipment?

Valk

LawnSite Gold Member
For the minimal investment that they are & for how little time it takes, I go yearly for mowers due to the 100s of hours of use.

For trimmers & BP - every couple few years unless starting issues.
For less used HHs like a hedge trimmer, I'll wait for starting issues.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Senior Member
Having to go buy a new plug when its not needed is a reason not to.
You can change the oil and air filter alot cheaper then those change kits.
Did the oil and air filter just magically appear in your hands? I didn't say you had to buy the overpriced service kit bundles. But you had to buy oil and a filter from somewhere, so add a $3 spark plug with it.

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
Did the oil and air filter just magically appear in your hands? I didn't say you had to buy the overpriced service kit bundles. But you had to buy oil and a filter from somewhere, so add a $3 spark plug with it.
No it didn't just appear, but a spark plug does not need to be replaced every 100 hrs as the manual calls for. Thats just wasting money.

My truck calls for plugs every 30k. I realized they were original at about 120k. I bought new plugs and removed them all. They still looked good but I replaced them as it took more effort then the mower engine, but new plugs did not change the performance or mpg 1 bit.