Changing suppliers

johndeereguy

LawnSite Member
I am in the middle of thinking about changing my chemical and fert supplier. I have been with the same guy for ever, 15 years. I just feel like he isn't giving me the service anymore. he has been zero help in the Imprellis mess, offers no other info on items that would be helpful to help my business be more profitable and grow. He is the only sales guy for a place that concentrates on janitorial sales. I have been getting prices and info from a couple differant places. One is John Deere Landscapes, and other is a private company here that is really growing and wanting my business bad. They both are cheaper per bag and per 1000 on chemsicals and fert. Its just hard to switch, who has lately and what wwas your feelings and experiances after you switched?

CHARLES CUE

LawnSite Gold Member
I think you have to do what's best for you CO not what's good for the supplier. This should not be personal but when they have good service it's hard not to like them.

I think service is a must i use different suppliers one has great service and a little higher prices and the other one has better prices. I always feel bad when i order from one and not the other but that natural.

I have bought from others but never heard from them again.

Charles Cue

americanlawn

LawnSite Fanatic
Ditto with CHARLES. I just sent him a PM. Hope I can help him cuz he's local. We'll see. I hate seeing guys getting ripped off.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
I agree service counts. Last season I totally dumped JDL in favor of Reinders and did ok. JDL went belly up in Rochester and I did not want to pay their silly delivery fees. Hello, not my fault you went out of biz here I supported you.

rcreech

Sponsor
When starting out I can see where it pays to be loyal and build relationships as your supplier can help you get started and teach you a lot.

I started with Lesco (no JDL) and bought off them 100% for the first three years. I became very good friends with my salesman.

After that...I noticed their prices creeping up and I had to start shopping around.

It killed me to not buy from him...buy when you are talking $1000-2000 difference per shipment it is a business decision.

I am still very good friends with my JDL rep, but he knows that I have a business to run and understands my decisions.

I always tell him "my money is better in my pocket then yours". :)

You just have to do what you have to do...just make sure you are comparing apples to apples when it comes to quality.

lawnrx

LawnSite Member
I have two suppliers that I like to use. One is JD. I go back and forth them one to the other depending one the product. I let them know I'm looking for a good price. Not just the lowest.

Lefet

LawnSite Bronze Member
Agree totally. You have to do what's best for your company. Nobodys going to be around when you can't pay YOUR bills. I would at least give them the chance though, I know how you feel. Loyalty is a big thing with me too. Get some quotes and take them TO your present supplier, let him know you've been looking around and see what he can do to at least MATCH their prices. If nothing, then that should answer a few other questions.......

rcreech

Sponsor
Agree totally. You have to do what's best for your company. Nobodys going to be around when you can't pay YOUR bills. I would at least give them the chance though, I know how you feel. Loyalty is a big thing with me too. Get some quotes and take them TO your present supplier, let him know you've been looking around and see what he can do to at least MATCH their prices. If nothing, then that should answer a few other questions.......
I am all for being loyal...but that can only go so far.

I used to let them "match prices"...but now I give them 1 chance.

That cuts out the Mickey Mouse bull crap!

Tell them they get one chance and they are sure to get you their best price the first time.

I won't leave a supplier for a $100 dollars...but much over that and it is my money.

Plus JDL has partner points and that adds up big time.

I get $200-400 at a time in Target and Office Max cards.

That has to be taken into the equation also.

Lefet

LawnSite Bronze Member
I am all for being loyal...but that can only go so far.

I used to let them "match prices"...but now I give them 1 chance.

That cuts out the Mickey Mouse bull crap!

Tell them they get one chance and they are sure to get you their best price the first time.

I won't leave a supplier for a $100 dollars...but much over that and it is my money.

Plus JDL has partner points and that adds up big time.

I get $200-400 at a time in Target and Office Max cards.

That has to be taken into the equation also
I'm not familiar with this. Is this a part of their "reward" program or some sort of discount? We've never qualified for their "bonus" program, they said we didn't spend enough. This year my JDL rep is suppose to be speaking to his manager to "see" what he can do for us, based on our increased spending last year. Last year it was, "you have to spend at least...$$$ and it had to be at that time. Not combined throughout the season. So it might have benefitted us had we been able to buy for the entire season but storage and money didn't allow for that.

rcreech

Sponsor
I'm not familiar with this. Is this a part of their "reward" program or some sort of discount? We've never qualified for their "bonus" program, they said we didn't spend enough. This year my JDL rep is suppose to be speaking to his manager to "see" what he can do for us, based on our increased spending last year. Last year it was, "you have to spend at least...$$$ and it had to be at that time. Not combined throughout the season. So it might have benefitted us had we been able to buy for the entire season but storage and money didn't allow for that.
It is called Partner Points.

It is cumulative over the whole season and based on $$$$ spent.

I am buying a lot of landscape supplies right now for personal use and even that goes towards my partner points.