Changing supply sources - approach question

OP
cooper5114

cooper5114

LawnSite Member
Looks like the drive entrance is at about 305’ and the house actually not as shown...it’s more like at the 270’ elevation. Pump is at about 204 and river can be a good 10-15’ lower than that. So really need to lift about 100’. There’s very little resistive loss as I ran 2” pipe until I hit the valves.

it is very beautiful area of the country and anyone’s welcome if you’re in the area.

frumdig

LawnSite Senior Member
As a city person who mostly works with dinky pipe and domestic water, mostly just enjoying this convo. But wanted to add a thought. Why couldn't you dig a little eddy into the side of the creek/river? Then put a submersible there, out of the main channel. Maybe there's a term for this kinda of 'structure' as im sure there's a more strategic way to implement it? Or maybe not, because I don't know what I'm talking about. I guess it is still in the river and the liability still exists, just put up a danger high voltage sign. LoL

Throw in a no trespassing sign for good measure... probably safer than a 10 story water tower. Hah

Youngandfree

LawnSite Gold Member
As a city person who mostly works with dinky pipe and domestic water, mostly just enjoying this convo. But wanted to add a thought. Why couldn't you dig a little eddy into the side of the creek/river? Then put a submersible there, out of the main channel. Maybe there's a term for this kinda of 'structure' as im sure there's a more strategic way to implement it? Or maybe not, because I don't know what I'm talking about. I guess it is still in the river and the liability still exists, just put up a danger high voltage sign. LoL

Throw in a no trespassing sign for good measure... probably safer than a 10 story water tower. Hah
Electricity can flow much farther than the sign on his piece of property. ;)

Wet_Boots

LawnSite Fanatic
Looks like the drive entrance is at about 305’ and the house actually not as shown...it’s more like at the 270’ elevation. Pump is at about 204 and river can be a good 10-15’ lower than that. So really need to lift about 100’. There’s very little resistive loss as I ran 2” pipe until I hit the valves.

it is very beautiful area of the country and anyone’s welcome if you’re in the area.
the term Lift generally refers to the suction side of the pump - the pump is near the river to limit the amount of suction lift needed, as too much lift kills the pump output - I would recommend the pump-on-a-float idea, but tether the float into place using rods with swivel ends

enorl76

LawnSite Senior Member

Its call a pump vault, usually made from concrete but realistically i've thought about designing one using basically 1/2" to 5/8" acrylic panels, with a 4" dwv pipe to supply the vault with water from the source. The intake pipe would have a float on the end to keep the intake at the ideal 4" below the surface of the water (this usually applies to lakes, i'd guess rivers dont matter)

Additionally, my dad has a similar problem with our 5hp pump at the lake shore, a hurricane/tropical storm will send Lake Munroe higher than normal, and thats lapping at the pump. I've had to go up and help dad disconnect the pump from the relay and haul it up to the shed. Its 150 lbs so it ain't light.

I've considered a floating type of apparatus, like building a small 4'x4' platform using two of the air bladders used for floating docks and sit the pump on that with a pipe basically 8" under the surface of the water (theres a formula to prevent vortexing and sucking in air, its not perfect and reality can change why vortexes form)

More to follow. That pump you have looks like gould's multi impeller pump.

enorl76

LawnSite Senior Member
So you have either Gould's multi stage pump or similar, I'm guessing 1.5 hp? Its a good pump capable of what you quoted, 25 GPM with really high dynamic head. I'm betting its pump discharge pressure is about 60-70 PSI at 25 GPM? You're probably using the correct pump given the elevation change at the front of the yard... the closer heads run a little "hot" but just get a valve based pressure reduction.

But yeah a floating raft would be ideal here. I believe those floating dock ballasts can be had for about 250 each. Get some marine grade lumber and build a smallish floating platform for the pump, but dont mount it over the water, just use that to prevent the pump from being submerged. As another suggested, sink a pretty tall pole into the ground a bit and use that to keep it from wandering

There's a lot of options here, depends on your budget.