Changing supply sources - approach question

OP
cooper5114

cooper5114

LawnSite Member
The issue with rigid stationary pipes breaking is their lengthy "lever arm".
This is one reason you may often see these attached to the tee below with a threaded coupling and cut off riser.
I’m sure sure I’m getting this. What are the components between the T and the nozzle in tour suggestion? Seems like it would be nice to have something less brittle at the T but I don’t think that’s what you’re suggesting

RhettMan

LawnSite Gold Member
I’m sure sure I’m getting this. What are the components between the T and the nozzle in tour suggestion? Seems like it would be nice to have something less brittle at the T but I don’t think that’s what you’re suggesting

Most basic would be:

Vertical 24" shrub riser sch80, directly attached into tee/elbow.

A lateral force (a gardener cleaning beds, a large dog maybe) snaps threaded portion of tee by applying side ways force to the vertical riser. Cement repair necessary, unless using compression fittings....so for me: cement repair necessary.

An improvement to that would be:

24" riser directly into 1/2" threaded coupling, directly to tee using a cut off "nipple" between.

A lateral force (a gardener cleaning beds, a large dog maybe) snaps cut off riser by applying side ways force to the vertical riser. Replacing the nipple necessary.

Ill take number 2 any day. especially established landscape roots in vicinity.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Gold Member
Most basic would be:

Vertical 24" shrub riser sch80, directly attached into tee/elbow.

A lateral force (a gardener cleaning beds, a large dog maybe) snaps threaded portion of tee by applying side ways force to the vertical riser. Cement repair necessary, unless using compression fittings....so for me: cement repair necessary.

24" riser directly into 1/2" threaded coupling, directly to tee using a cut off "nipple" between.

A lateral force (a gardener cleaning beds, a large dog maybe) snaps cut off riser by applying side ways force to the vertical riser. Replacing the nipple necessary.

Ill take number 2 any day. especially established landscape roots in vicinity.
Could you install a rubber boot coupling at the bottom to allow some flexible movement?

OP
cooper5114

cooper5114

LawnSite Member

OK...kind of similar to the valve improvement. Add a nipple and then a solvent coupler then a shrub riser. See my picture to make sure i have it right. I'm not sure why this helps as i would expect it to break at the same place. i must be mis-interpreting something here.
2021-06-09 10.43.13.jpg

Wet_Boots

LawnSite Fanatic
Your fitting for today is "marlex elbow" - they can be obscure - they might be ubiquitous - from them you create swing joints, and your sch 80 risers won't break (if you are not already using sch 80 risers, you just now switched) - Spears or Lasco brands recommended - give Dura a pass, at least on the 1/2-inch size of marlex ell (too breakable)

OP
cooper5114

cooper5114

LawnSite Member
ok...i get it if i use swing pipe....i've done a ton of that and the elbows you show for all my heads. Yes that would solve the rigid connection issue.

RhettMan

LawnSite Gold Member
OK...kind of similar to the valve improvement. Add a nipple and then a solvent coupler then a shrub riser. See my picture to make sure i have it right. I'm not sure why this helps as i would expect it to break at the same place. i must be mis-interpreting something here. View attachment 444864
the hope is that it breaks at the nipple.

iv also used swing joint for risers but they tend to lean over quicker.