Changing the name of your business?

Skol

LawnSite Senior Member
Have any of you changed the name of your business after it had been established?

Did you notice a dip in revenue, or "hits" (calls, messages, etc.)?

Any other issues?

It's something I'm considering doing this winter, and just wanted to hear some thoughts from those who have, or thought about doing so.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
I have, twice, and nope no change, still you. Just put a disclaimer of who you were and now are. Most of the customers I do never noticed.

OP
Skol

Skol

LawnSite Senior Member
Why the thought of changing name ?
I've thought about changing my own personal name to MowDaddy.
That's what everyone calls me.
Branding purposes.... I was young when I chose it, and it feels (I guess) like a name chosen by a college kid...

CrystalCreek

LawnSite Bronze Member
I changed my companies name about 3 years ago. Reason I did this was because the original name had "property maintenance" as part of it. I was getting calls for everything from landscaping to tree work to driveway paving to bathroom cleaning and everything else. Did a total name change. Wrote a letter to all the existing customer explaining why I was doing what I was doing and didn't have a single problem. Hired a friend to do some magic with Google to stop the majority of the phone calls and everything has been good ever since.

Actually did a DBA under the existing company name just incase I ever decide to venture into other things, like tree work or some type of construction, but the original name is only on paper for me and the IRS to know about.

OP
Skol

Skol

LawnSite Senior Member
I changed my companies name about 3 years ago. Reason I did this was because the original name had "property maintenance" as part of it. I was getting calls for everything from landscaping to tree work to driveway paving to bathroom cleaning and everything else. Did a total name change. Wrote a letter to all the existing customer explaining why I was doing what I was doing and didn't have a single problem. Hired a friend to do some magic with Google to stop the majority of the phone calls and everything has been good ever since.

Actually did a DBA under the existing company name just incase I ever decide to venture into other things, like tree work or some type of construction, but the original name is only on paper for me and the IRS to know about.
You still file taxes under your old business name?

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
After 20 some years changed business names this spring. Formed a new llc and everything. It's a lot of legwork with insurance, government etc. And I'll have to figure out yet how to formally close the books and assets of the original this tax year.
But the customers, they couldnt care less.