Changing the name of your business?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Skol, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Skol

Skol LawnSite Member

Have any of you changed the name of your business after it had been established?

Did you notice a dip in revenue, or "hits" (calls, messages, etc.)?

Any other issues?

It's something I'm considering doing this winter, and just wanted to hear some thoughts from those who have, or thought about doing so.

2. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

I have, twice, and nope no change, still you. Just put a disclaimer of who you were and now are. Most of the customers I do never noticed.

3. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

I went from using a business name to my own name some time back. I figured that more people knew me by name than by a business name. No issues at all and I think it was a better way to do it.

4. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

Why the thought of changing name ?
    I've thought about changing my own personal name to MowDaddy.
    That's what everyone calls me.

Marine03112, Cam15, hort101 and 4 others like this.
  5. Carolina Cuttin' Company

Carolina Cuttin' Company LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh: If I could've liked that twice, I would've!

Cam15 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Skol

Skol LawnSite Member

Branding purposes.... I was young when I chose it, and it feels (I guess) like a name chosen by a college kid...

7. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

I changed my companies name about 3 years ago. Reason I did this was because the original name had "property maintenance" as part of it. I was getting calls for everything from landscaping to tree work to driveway paving to bathroom cleaning and everything else. Did a total name change. Wrote a letter to all the existing customer explaining why I was doing what I was doing and didn't have a single problem. Hired a friend to do some magic with Google to stop the majority of the phone calls and everything has been good ever since.

Actually did a DBA under the existing company name just incase I ever decide to venture into other things, like tree work or some type of construction, but the original name is only on paper for me and the IRS to know about.

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Skol

Skol LawnSite Member

You still file taxes under your old business name?

9. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes. My accountant handles all that. Its a piece of cake.

Cam15 likes this.
  10. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

After 20 some years changed business names this spring. Formed a new llc and everything. It's a lot of legwork with insurance, government etc. And I'll have to figure out yet how to formally close the books and assets of the original this tax year.
    But the customers, they couldnt care less.