1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Changing tire on old toro proline

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by EliteImpressions, Mar 27, 2008.

1. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I just got tires and tubes for my toro. Ive never changed bike tire so Im not really sure how to go about this. I have two questions.

1. How do I jack up the rear end of the mower? Im guess jacks for a car but dont know where to position them to not harm mower.

2. Do I need any tools to take off the tire and to put on the new one?

Sorry for the simple questions but I never was allowed to mow the lawn when I was younger and didnt get a lot of hands on experience with fixing stuff. I just started mowing the lawn when I bought my first house and fell in love with it.

2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I think the problem here is that your post is too vague. There are lots of people here that might be able to help you.

A Toro Proline with pneumatic tires could mean anything from a 32" walk behind to a big ZTR. Are you putting tubes into the front tires, or the rear?
    To be honest, I haven't had great luck with tubes, I see them as a temporary solution. If you don't have tubes and you get a flat, you can use a flat repair kit, right where you are, hit a service station and be on the mower again. Or even a can of "Fix a flat" will get you through, if you slice into a tube, you are toast.
    If you have your heart set on tubes, I should think that any frame piece would support a jack, and I think you could work a tube in easily enough once you pull the sidewall from the rim.

3. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

Better off getting new tire. The smaller the tire the more of a pain in the arse it is to get the tube in and tire back on the rim, I have pinched a few tubes prying the tire back on.

4. kayeproperties

kayeproperties LawnSite Member

I agree with the tubes are a pain posts. I switched to the no flats tires for fronts and rears I dont even know of any tubes anymore. Try anything to get away from tubes as a repair is a pain and 1 slit and well your back at it again.

5. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Its the rear tire that Im changing.

It was the less money for 2 tires and 2 tubes instead of 1 flat free tire. Im only going to use the mower 1 day for about 5 hrs so I figured the tubes would be fine in this case.

I did buy a flat free for the front though.