1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Charging Extra for Cleanups and One Timers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfquip, Apr 25, 2003.

1. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

I get calls all the time for tall grass cleanups...you know, lawns that should have been cut three times since the last time. Grass 8 to 10" high and thick. I welcome these actually.

Often, folks seeking a price include a statement like, "we need someone to mow on a regular basis". Sometimes this is true, but often it's just a ploy to get you to bust your *** the first time at a 'regular' price in order that you can earn their business in the future.

Let me give you newbies a bit of advice from a seasoned veteran. Charge a bunch for the initial cleanup, then give them a reasonable 'regular' price for work going forward.

The reason is twofold. Cleanups are hard on equipment and personel. They take a lot of time to do without making or leaving a mess. Usually more time than you planned.

Second, every deal stands on it's own. It's a time honored business principle. Too many times doe-eyed mowing newbies with a new piece of equipment to pay for will take on a cleanup at a low price to 'earn' the prospect of an ongoing relationship....only to receive a call two or three days later telling them that their services will not be needed after all.

Don't get caught in this trap! I charge between $1 and $2 a minute for cleanups...minimum. That's one man and a 60" Turf Tracer.

Is everybody with me on this?

2. Is everybody with me on this?

YES!

3. High Dollar, I am with ya.

I learned the hard way many years ago on there.

I use a initial price for the first cut, then the regular price there after. However the regular price is specified for weekly mowing, so make sure you say that also.

I charge more to mow every other week.

4. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Call it collusion or whatever but every LawnSite member needs to get a hold of this concept and most importantly, use it.

Who knows....it could make a difference. No more low balling.

Believe it or not, this industry might begin to get some respect if we all started charging enough money to make a decent living.

A guideline I like to use is when I'm using a $6000 machine I need to be earning 1% of the cost of the machine per hour minimum.

When my 20K hydroseeder rolls out of the barn, I shoot for a return of 1% per hour or $200 gross profit.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I agree with those one time people..I learned my lesson about 3 years ago and I switched over to the system that you are talking about. It works great and saves me the hassle and stress.

6. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup....Im with you Bob

7. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't say that I charge more, as much as I charge a little less for clean-ups for regular customers. New accounts and one time mowing for extra tall grass is usually charged double what it would be if it was 4-5".

8. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advice turf....... And I am sure all the newcomers. and newbies on this forum appreciates it as well..:rolleyes:

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

It's called good business sense. If someone can't figure something this simple out, they are in for a whole heap of rough days.

10. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I am there too!

I think with most, 1 good oops and this aint no more of a problem.

But then again there are some people out there that dont care about price. They just want a little cash. We will never get them to charge enough or get rid of them all together.