Charging for drive time?

Do you charge for drive time

• Total voters

Michael Smiley

LawnSite Member
Hello everyone,

Just wondering how you all deal with the issue of drive time when servicing your properties in lawn care? I know many people are of the opinion to not charge for drive time. Some say its a flat rate for driving to any property whether near or far. Some say they charge per mile or per minute with driving. What do you do?

If you do charge per mile or minute when driving, how much do you charge?

If you are a lawn care professional, I would love to hear your thoughts on this, and I'm sure there are plenty of others out there with the same question that would benefit from this.

Right now, I am of the opinion to charge per minute with driving, but not sure how much to charge. However if you are of the opinion to leave drive time out of the equation, feel free to change my mind...

Thanks,
-Michael

ltdlawn

LawnSite Platinum Member
To many variables imo... so do you charge for time to or from next customer? Your route start the same way every day ? What if you lose account in pass off that time to who? I focus on an hourly average per day.

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
Getting to a yard is included in the cost to do a yard. Don't ever start charging mileage charges to customers or you will get laughed out of the lawn business. You just want to try to get a route of lawns that are in the same areas to do on the same day and that can increase profit by cutting down on drive time. Now I do have 2 customers that are slightly beyond my service area. I told each of them that they were beyond my area so I would need to charge them a little more than I typically do. The one is a $40 yard, so I told him it would be $50. Then I picked up the other one and it was a $50 yard but I told him $60. Both were understanding and fine with it. Now to pick a couple more up in that area and profit will increase. It is only 4 miles out of my normal area, so I am not really going that much out of my way, but I don't let them know that.

JjEjFjF

LawnSite Member
Hello everyone,

Just wondering how you all deal with the issue of drive time when servicing your properties in lawn care? I know many people are of the opinion to not charge for drive time. Some say its a flat rate for driving to any property whether near or far. Some say they charge per mile or per minute with driving. What do you do?

If you do charge per mile or minute when driving, how much do you charge?

If you are a lawn care professional, I would love to hear your thoughts on this, and I'm sure there are plenty of others out there with the same question that would benefit from this.

Right now, I am of the opinion to charge per minute with driving, but not sure how much to charge. However if you are of the opinion to leave drive time out of the equation, feel free to change my mind...

Thanks,
-Michael
Its not the customers fault you travel to tim buck tu to cut grass. Travel time is ridiculous and petty.

OP
M

Michael Smiley

LawnSite Member
Its not the customers fault you travel to tim buck tu to cut grass. Travel time is ridiculous and petty.
Sure I understand that. But at the same time, it isnt your fault that some customers are further away than others. I mean, if you had a customer who lived 10 minutes further than all your others, why wouldn't you include a few extra dollars in your quote to account for it? If nothing else, you need to he reimbursed for the wear and tear on your vehicle. Just to drive my truck and trailer setup costs almost a $1 per mile.

JjEjFjF

LawnSite Member
Sure I understand that. But at the same time, it isnt your fault that some customers are further away than others. I mean, if you had a customer who lived 10 minutes further than all your others, why wouldn't you include a few extra dollars in your quote to account for it? If nothing else, you need to he reimbursed for the wear and tear on your vehicle. Just to drive my truck and trailer setup costs almost a $1 per mile.
Again, its not their fault. If its out of your territory, dont take the job. If you do take the job, its up to you to get a couple more in that area to make it worth your while.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
if they live a good ways away i charge extra to cover the gas in the truck. they understand and they are willing to pay it. usually they know they live in an area that is "out of the way" for pretty much every lawn company.