charging when spraying bushes

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by drobin, Jul 12, 2009.

  1. drobin

    drobin LawnSite Member
    Messages: 154

    A customer wants me to come over and spray one small tree 14 feet tall for japanese beetles, what to use? and what to charge? what do you think?
  2. 93Chevy

    93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 41,957

    Are you licensed to spray pesticides?
  3. olive123

    olive123 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 500

    i would say a 75 minmum for one tree and sell up. "Since im spraying why not let me treat the rest of your trees and shrubs for X more."
  4. phasthound

    phasthound LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,158

    If you don't know what to spray for Jap beetles, you are probably not licensed and certainly not qualified to make this application. :nono:

    Get trained & learn the law.
  5. Think Green

    Think Green LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,746

    From what I have learned from the members on this forum, is that the state of New York is pretty stringent on its pesticides applications and laws.
    What we spray in other parts of the country may not be in law for your jurisdiction or be suggested for use as restricted.

    Trust me---spraying just one tree can be an easy feat........spray--collect--run!
    If the tree dies, then all it will take is a call to the N.Y. State pesticide agencies, and mention a name of a company. They are like Arkansas, and will look you up on their files and come looking for you. If you carry a Federal number and or Tax I.D., you are found by phone or address. The State Tax people will come calling to go over the quarterly statements. Following these people are the State Pesticide Inspectors'. They are gentle with their rubber gloves and petrolium jellies, but those penalties hurt worse than anything.!!!! LOL?

    You can google the name of the tree in the control of the Japanese Beetle and find out on line what to use!!!
    Then comes the question of........can i use it here and where to get it!!!!????
  6. drobin

    drobin LawnSite Member
    Messages: 154

    Thanks Olive 123,
    I was thinking around those lines but it is always nice to get confirmation. Yes, I am licensed and it is my 1st year. I have been spending most of my time on turf but my license is for turf and ornamentals. To the rest of you- Soooorrrrry for asking! maybe that question was below you or points out my lack of knowledge but everyone has to start somewhere and 1 single inexpensive tree on a lawn I treat in my opinion is an ideal place to start.
  7. 93Chevy

    93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 41,957

    Good point. Sorry I was a Richard in my post, guy.
  8. rcreech

    rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO
    Messages: 6,163

    I use Bifen.

    Depends on the drive time...but if close to home, I would do a tree like that for $40-50 and then charge $15-20 for each additional tree (depending on their size).

    There is good money to be made in spraying Japs.

    You can charge as much as you want or what ever your market will bear, but your cost will be very small!!!!!
  9. JWTurfguy

    JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 327

    If they have Jap beetles in their trees, better make sure you sell a preventative round of grub control for the lawn. Don't just spray the tree.
  10. drobin

    drobin LawnSite Member
    Messages: 154

    chevy no problem its all good, cant spray bifen till next year in NY, I need 1 full year 1st , yeah i tried selling for the grub prventitive but she want to go with a curative if there is turf damage, gues she wants to wait it out

Share This Page