1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Chart for cool season grass growing temperatures?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by mdloops, Apr 19, 2017.

1. mdloops

mdloops LawnSite Member

I know I saw a chart before showing the germination temperatures for cool season grasses (by variety/type), but is there a similar chart that can be used to predict when each type (TTTF, KBG, Fine Fescue, PRG, etc.) will return from winter dormancy?

Looking to use this data to differentiate which areas should fill in when the weather warms vs which areas are struggling due to soil deficiencies or disease. This time of year it can be tough because ryegrass is awake and growing while other types (fine fescue to name one) appear to still be dormant and not growing.

Thanks

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

hort101 likes this.
  3. RigglePLC

4. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Senior Member

Do you actually see fine fescue growing in your lawn right now? It’s raining here so I won’t go out and look, but I haven’t noticed any in my lawn yet.

5. mdloops

mdloops LawnSite Member

Same here. PRG & TTTF have been growing, KBG woke up 3 days ago, but fine fescue in most areas is not growing. Have only seen 1 area where it is growing

6. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Senior Member

OK loops, the skies parted and I put on my boots and walked the lawn today. I did two end of August seedings last year with creeping red fescue in them and that fescue is growing very well. Whatever other kind of fine fescue I have in my very old lawn is not growing yet or at least not thick enough for me to notice it. In the past it always seemed like it took a couple of extra weeks and then it was like “Oh, fine fescue!”

I wasn’t able to find a nice table of green-up for you, but here is a link to some good information:

https://plant-pest-advisory.rutgers.edu/slow-green-up-of-kentucky-bluegrass/

A quote from it: “Green-up of creeping red fescue is relatively early and not too different from perennial ryegrass.”

mdloops likes this.
  7. mdloops

mdloops LawnSite Member

Thanks Kerb! I also has some late season fine fescue planting (mid-late September). The vast majority survived winter and like you I went out today after rain and a warmer day and one area in particular is doing well. This area has many broadleaf weeds already (only area of yard) which tells me it is warmer than others by a considerable margin. When the trees bloom this will be a shady area, which is why I planted fine fescue.

I might try hitting the areas of fescue that are slow to grow with some nitrogen to make sure it is not deficient and/or send in a soil sample to be sure.

Remaining question: For the area in the picture. I have two choices. Both are risky

1) Lay down some Tenacity to buy me some time for the FF to grow. I have read conflicting reports about the extent of injury to emerged FF caused by tenacity.

2) Give the FF another week and hit it with drive. In this area I dormant seeded in addition to the late fall seeding, so some seed might be just emerging and some is an inch tall (this is a planned NO MOW area)

3) Do nothing.

4) Wait another 3-4 weeks and put down Dimension plus spray with drive. Hope that the dormant seeded portions survive it.

Which would you guys choose? A combination maybe?

IMG_1390.JPG

8. RigglePLC

americanlawn likes this.
  9. mdloops

mdloops LawnSite Member

I am in CT, but I can definitely wait 3-4 weeks. Would you spot spray with drive or something else?

10. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

I would forget about pre-emergents and go with Quinclorac (Drive has it in low concentration). Also, the PRG is no going to fill in unless you have the variety that is regenerating perennial rye; it's a bunch type grass. I'm still ops fan of having it in my seeding mix though. The RPR has been good for practice fields for kids sports for me.

As he often is, Riggle is on the right track following degree days.

americanlawn and hort101 like this.