Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again i'm off collecting this months payment. Spending my free time collecting hard earned money gets real old real fast and i'm about to take drastic measures to get paid on time!

I think because i'm 17 people dont feel the need to rush there check in the mail so I get it before the end of the month. I too have bills to pay!

I'm trying to think of some ways to get people to pay on-time and in some cases to just flat out pay me. I'm looking for replies that include the words REPO or MIDNIGHT RUN. Maybe i'm going over the edge here but this month i had to reach into my savings to pay my storage bill and that is unacceptable!

whew, glad I got that out of my system.

Mitch,

·
Registered
852 Posts
I can't help with the REPO or MIDNIGHT RUN. Try writing on your invoices something like: "It would be greatly appreceated if all payments would be received by the 15th of each month. I trust you understand my position, as I have monthly payments also. Thank you for understanding."

Maybe you have already tried this?? Try and make them feel guilty.

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
well, i have some unique collection tactics, laugh if u will, but ive recovered every single penny without having to go to court.

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
ok, later, right now i have to go out and cut. but, i will accept no responsibility if u end up in prison

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
I've owned rental property for several years and financed the sale myself on occasions. A technique I've used, God help me, is to call the persons work number when I know they are at lunch, etc. I intentially wind up talking to someone in their office. I tell the person to please have so- n- so call me because I haven't received his rent/mortgage payment yet. It has worked even when one guy wrote me a bad check and moved out of town. I found out where he was working, when he was a lunch. I happended to get his supervisor. I got a money order about a week later

·
Banned
1,250 Posts
Originally posted by Fvstringpicker
I've owned rental property for several years and financed the sale myself on occasions. A technique I've used, God help me, is to call the persons work number when I know they are at lunch, etc. I intentially wind up talking to someone in their office. I tell the person to please have so- n- so call me because I haven't received his rent/mortgage payment yet. It has worked even when one guy wrote me a bad check and moved out of town. I found out where he was working, when he was a lunch. I happended to get his supervisor. I got a money order about a week later
My GF is a collector and has alot of tactics. The refrences on the application get a call and then family and then neighbors. Usually when family and friends get contacted, the money is paid right away. I love when the people that give big attitudes get their car picked up. I was told last night about how little Miss Princess without a country and with a loud attitude had her car picked up at her work. Can you imagine the expression this chick gave? She has yet to contact the bank about her unfortunate situation. That is an account that my GF keeps checking the notes for just to see what she has to say.

This is why I tell people here, treat your collections like every other business would. When you enter an agreement to do work for someone, unless they have a ligitimate excuse, you need to be agressive or you will never see your funds if it drags on long enough.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I hear what you are saying. I just sent out notices stating again that all payments are due on the 15th. If not, a $20 refiling fee is added to the second bill. If the payment is not received by the 20th, all services stop until payed in full. I had contracts last year with 1/2 my customers. Didn't see a need for them this year. I can bet you my Z that everyone will sign a contract next year.

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
This is interesting because we were just going through this, and I was going to post a thread on collecting interest. I've never done this in the past, but it looks now as though I'll have to. When I spoke to a friend of mine (my chemical mentor), he told me he collects 15% after 30 days. It's like he said, you tell your customers (if they ask) that maybe they could call HIS creditors and suppliers and ask why THEY collect interest. Just like he says, places like Lesco charge 18%, and if "you (the customer) would pay on time, then I wouldn't HAVE to pay interest on this, and therefore, wouldn't have to charge interest."
I am just now in the process of figuring how to apply interest on these accounts with the program I am currently using. I have boxes at the bottom of the invoices for 30-60 day overdues, 60-90 day, and so on, I just haven't gotten into the program far enough to apply this. Any input is greatly appreciated. Also, the suggestion or putting the message on the invoice stating. "Please Remit Payment Within 15 Days" (or by the 15th), certainly helps and is good advice, I'm sure. We will now be doing THAT as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Something no one has mentioned, at least when it comes to charging interest, is most states have usury laws that get technical real quick.

The laws vary from state to state, and have specific guidelines as to when and how much a person can be charged in interest and penalty's. Be careful here, a slick customer could have you owing them money at the end of a season :angry:

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've also got it in a book on credit that when you contact other people than the persons name thats on the bill you are not suppose to disclose the nature of the call. In other words its against the law to tell them that so-n-so owes you x amount of money. I've read that a slick enough lawyer can make the case that this is reason enough to absolve all debt owed. Just something to think about. I suppose you could tell them to relay a message that all mowing services are stopped and to contact you. That might just be embarassing enough to get the free loader to pay. -

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.