1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Cheap mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by prairie, May 13, 2002.

1. prairie

prairie LawnSite Member
    from kansas

Sorry guys I do landscape installs and sprinklers only and am seeing if you have an idea on a mower for my home. yard is 3/4 acre and i'm wanting something cheap and reliable and I know those two don't come easy. I looked at some walk-behinds, but couldn't find a good used one. I'm looking for a 32-48 inch deck, and only want to spend about 500-2000 bucks for this, is it possible????????

2. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Sure is. If you look in the right places.;)

3. prairie

prairie LawnSite Member
    from kansas

where should I look?

4. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

If you were waiting by the computer for a response.;)
    I know. I'm mean.

Check with local dealers to see if they have any trade-ins that are in decent shape,for sale.Check the want ads in local newspapers on-line (if possible),under lawn equip. or power mowers,etc.
    In our local papers there are always a few listed.
    Any local "shopper" publications near you? Or bargain traders as we call 'em here.
    Which brings me to another possibility. Check on www.traderonline.com - there might be something for sale in your area that will fit your needs. If you check out the site go to "bargain trader" and do a search for mowers. You never know.
    You can put in up to three area codes if I remember correctly.
    Good luck.

5. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

if you want belt drive check out exmark and toro walkbehind mowers. 36" belt drive exmark was only 2100 with tax here last time i looked. You can get them for less if you buy used.

P.S. those were new mowers i was talkin about that way you get a warrenty.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

go get yourself a murray hydrostat w briggs engine. it wll get old with u ,if u maintain it. simple ,light so the hp goes to the blades and not to pulling a loto wt.
    the easy level deck will give u a fine cut .
    watch that the levels dont hang up to high an u tighten them that way . kinda poor cut if that happens.