Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
18’ enclosed trailer with 8 - 200w solar panels mounted on top. Ignore the messy wiring as it’s going to be redone by our in-house mechanic and sleeved. I did the initial setup you see all myself. I also need to add 6 more large battery’s for the solar hold.

I went with Ego commercial tools due to reviews and inventory rn. I’ll probably switch over to another brand like stihl or green works later down the road once the electric industry weeds out the crap equipment.

I also have a 48” green works commercial mower coming but for now added a gas cage for our ride on.

This was a big expensive test but from just calcs if it works across 17 maintenance crews we have now we should be getting a significant ROI.

Light Building Automotive design Flooring Parking

Motor vehicle Building Road surface City Road

Circuit component Electrical wiring Gas Audio equipment Electrical supply

Vehicle Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Sports equipment Electronic instrument

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm only guessing here but 1600 watts of solar panels isn't going to come close to being able to charge all those batts.
Correct, they will plug into solar during the day to help maintain as all the chargers are connected to a 7,500w inverter. At night plug into our shop to fully charge.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What percentage of your overall power usage will be covered by the panels? Ballpark
What percentage of your overall power usage will be covered by the panels? Ballpark
That’s a reall
In theory all of these battery packs would charge in 10 hours from the solar setup. However, my solar panels don’t produce power quick enough and my holding battery’s don’t have enough storage. So within that 10 hours with all of these battery packs plugged in the holding batteries run dry. It’s just to supplement during the day and is completely unnecessary if they are just plugging in every night.

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
That’s a reall

In theory all of these battery packs would charge in 10 hours from the solar setup. However, my solar panels don’t produce power quick enough and my holding battery’s don’t have enough storage. So within that 10 hours with all of these battery packs plugged in the holding batteries run dry. It’s just to supplement during the day and is completely unnecessary if they are just plugging in every night.
So the expense in solar panels is really a waste/show. Trickle charge at best. All your batteries will be charged at the shop. So what exactly is your expected ROI in years for the trickle charger. Not trying to be an arse just not understanding why in the h double hockeys would you go to that expense on I think you said 18 rigs just for show.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So the expense in solar panels is really a waste/show. Trickle charge at best. All your batteries will be charged at the shop. So what exactly is your expected ROI in years for the trickle charger. Not trying to be an arse just not understanding why in the h double hockeys would you go to that expense on I think you said 18 rigs just for show.
Solar is an experiment. Real return on investment is time from using electric and not having to mix gas and pull start each stop. When you factor in mixing gas and pull starting we calculated 3 minutes per stop. Each crew is averaging 14 stops per day. 3 mins x14 stops x 17 crews = 11hrs per day x 5 days x 4.3weeks = 236hrs a month x $53hr (our labor cost) = $12.5k a month in savings. Not to mention repair costs and services on gas powered equip. (Thousands a year) And then the zero emissions, minimal noise are the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Wow...
Just out of curiosity...
How much for a decent cordless handheld blower?
One that actually CLEANS up some debris...

Reactions: CrazyBlades

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
3min a stop on pull cords? I’ll take you at what you said that just seems very high. Takes about 5 seconds for us to pull cord start a trimmer. Maybe y’all got bad trimmers I don’t know just guessing. Then compare to the time switching out batteries, EG. you are 50 yards away from the trailer and oops battery dead. Got to walk it back to the trailer, switch it out IF there is another one available and then clip on clip dead battery back on charger then walk back to where you left off. Was that factored in? Just trying to get close to an apples to apples.
And good lord “your labor cost” is $53 an hour I think you said dang that’s high for costs. Different areas I guess. I pay my top guys around $16 an hour with labor burden we are at max $20 per hour in costs. Dang $53 is high.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
3min a stop on pull cords? I’ll take you at what you said that just seems very high. Takes about 5 seconds for us to pull cord start a trimmer. Maybe y’all got bad trimmers I don’t know just guessing. Then compare to the time switching out batteries, EG. you are 50 yards away from the trailer and oops battery dead. Got to walk it back to the trailer, switch it out IF there is another one available and then clip on clip dead battery back on charger then walk back to where you left off. Was that factored in? Just trying to get close to an apples to apples.
And good lord “your labor cost” is $53 an hour I think you said dang that’s high for costs. Different areas I guess. I pay my top guys around $16 an hour with labor burden we are at max $20 per hour in costs. Dang $53 is high.
Your true labor costs are more than $20/hr especially if you are playing by the rules…

1 - 20 of 198 Posts