Lawn Care Forum banner
61 - 80 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
Are there any programs where you can turn in gas equipment and get a tax credit or rebate for buying electric. I'm holding on to some trimmers and a blower that are no longer running thinking, that at some point this might occur. Like cash for clunkers.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Cash for clunkers was quite profitable to those that availed of it. From what I've seen some municipalities that banned gas leaf blowers had a trade in credit scheme. But something pretty pathetic like $50 max towards a new battery blower etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't see any savings in time. I do see savings, potentially very significant, in fuel, maintenance and reliability costs.

A big plus though is sales. Not just being green but being much quieter and no fumes.

On Sweaty Backpacks… The cost & weight of batteries per kWh is declining so each year we should see an improvement. As well, making sure that there is a good air gap between the wearer & backpack is critical and I'd think that it'd be possible to build a small blower in the pack to help. It wouldn't take more than about 2-5 CFM to keep someone's back cooler and dry.

I'm a fan of solar but I think in most areas it's only marginally competitive w/ grid. I think 6-12 year payback is still about right for small biz. For a mobile rig though it can provide a bit of extra juice during the day, possibly for less $'s than extra batteries, and it is a selling point.

It might be good if the battery chargers all had a direct DC input as well as AC so that you could skip the power loss with double inverters (panel voltage DC > 120v AC + 120v AC > charge voltage DC). This s/b a very low cost addition.

·
Registered
435 Posts
With electric prices going up almost monthly (seems like it anyway), i am curious how much your electric bill went up having to charge all that stuff nightly. I am also curious about your setup. Do you have a bunch of battery chargers ( one for each battery), or do you swap them out after pack charged? If it’s the former, do you have an outlet bank for all the chargers for your trailer then just plug your trailer in, or separate banks for the shop to charge the batteries? If the latter, how much time are you using to switch all the batteries out?

just curious how electric works on a commercial level. For homeowner use, i would think it’s pretty decent….if you have an area to plug everything in or power to a shed (which i do not have) or something

·
Registered
387 Posts
Why I refuse to use a backpack blower for mow n go, seems crazy to put one on to blow. Big plus to the consumer handheld units in my mind. Let’s see if op factored in this.
Depends on what part of the country you're in. I have some huge driveways with trees dropping acorns, branches, and debris so anything less than a br600 is too slow.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I have to say, I think your over estimating. And I’m 100% electric handheld except for back pack blowers.

your savings is not in pull starting. It’s in not having to replace carbs or adjust carbs.
For sure
Depends. That number is possibly close. All depends where his business is based out of.
I know labor costs better not be $53/hr like you claim. Either you’re bad at business, or grossly overpay your people. But I mean, you did create an all electric trailer for more than I have in my set up while claiming it saves money and time. That’s some goofy math right there.
We are in a small market with very tight labor. We pay more than anyone to attract the best talent and offset that by charging more for our services. For our size operation and our market we are doing quite well with a $53/hr break even. Pretty sure I’m decent at running a business the size we are with the profits we have…

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I am all in on electric, I really am. It is coming, and we need to be open to making the switch when it makes sense. And it will make sense. BTW, the trailer setup looks awesome.

That said, 3 minutes to start a trimmer is simply incorrect. If switching it on, flipping the choke and pulling the string takes more than 15 seconds, it is time for some remedial training. So 3 minutes multiplied by 2 guys multiplied by 15 stops per day is going to give you some seriously flawed cost assumptions.

As is spending time mixing fuel. Mixing up a 2 gallon container of fuel every 2 days takes only a couple of minutes for 1 guy.

A guy making $20/hr is probably costing under $25/hr all in. Using $53/hr sounds like the cost of a 2 person crew making top dollar, plus a little margin. $53/hr for a guy is not realistic in any real world scenario.

I hope the solar-electric set up makes money, I really do. In fact, I bet you can charge a premium for the all solar service. But let's not kid ourselves on labor cost to try to justify a business model.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I am all in on electric, I really am. It is coming, and we need to be open to making the switch when it makes sense. And it will make sense. BTW, the trailer setup looks awesome.

That said, 3 minutes to start a trimmer is simply incorrect. If switching it on, flipping the choke and pulling the string takes more than 15 seconds, it is time for some remedial training. So 3 minutes multiplied by 2 guys multiplied by 15 stops per day is going to give you some seriously flawed cost assumptions.

As is spending time mixing fuel. Mixing up a 2 gallon container of fuel every 2 days takes only a couple of minutes for 1 guy.

A guy making $20/hr is probably costing under $25/hr all in. Using $53/hr sounds like the cost of a 2 person crew making top dollar, plus a little margin. $53/hr for a guy is not realistic in any real world scenario.

I hope the solar-electric set up makes money, I really do. In fact, I bet you can charge a premium for the all solar service. But let's not kid ourselves on labor cost to try to justify a business model.
There are multiple tools being started between multiple employees. Average per stop is 3 minutes including the time to mix. I’ve stood there with a stop watch and have watched a days worth of work between crews. I guess we will see what are true cost savings are as that’s my point In doing this experiment.

You are welcome to come out to our facility and look over our operation and can go over costs. You are calculating wage plus tax plus workman’s comp.. our computations are different my friend. Again, I know our costs like the back of my hand and work with one of the most reputable consultants in the green industry. DM me if you want to take me up on that.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
There are multiple tools being started between multiple employees. Average per stop is 3 minutes including the time to mix. I’ve stood there with a stop watch and have watched a days worth of work between crews. I guess we will see what are true cost savings are as that’s my point In doing this experiment.

You are welcome to come out to our facility and look over our operation and can go over costs. You are calculating wage plus tax plus workman’s comp.. our computations are different my friend. Again, I know our costs like the back of my hand and work with one of the most reputable consultants in the green industry. DM me if you want to take me up on that.
Thank you for this thread my guy 🤜🏼🤛🏽

61 - 80 of 191 Posts