1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Check out this cemetery bid

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Matthews Lawn Care, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Gold Member

So the city sent out bid packets for the cemetery in town. 31 acres, unknown amount of headstones, rolling terrain, etc. Not many flush headstones, almost all are traditional above ground. This is the 1st year they have subbed it out and part of the reason I didn’t submit a bid. I did work up the #’s and felt pretty confident that I could get it for around $70k, had I submitted that bid.

Below is the public agenda from city’s bid meeting, it’s mind boggling.

AA237E3D-571B-4B16-A4F0-76A3CC7CBDC8.png

RussellB and Mark Stark like this.
  2. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Fanatic

That is so friggin embarrassing!! I'm glad you posted that. Utterly insane. Towns pull this crap and it's so stupid. They're not saving the taxpayers any money. Long term it costs more.

The fact that 4 bids came in and they go with the extreme outlier is bananas :wall

Mark Oomkes, RussellB, Cam15 and 3 others like this.
  3. Mark Stark

Are you familiar with the company that bid $22k? Are they a rag tag group?? Do they have any sense? Good reputation?

Cam15 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Matthews Lawn Care

Yeah it’s crazy. I have a few friends that work for the city parks dept. and they were blown away. I was chatting with my local mower dealer and he was dumbfounded as well. There is no way this guy is going to make $, it will cost him $. So, he’ll quit 2 months in and then the city has to either use the parks dept. or pay a premium to get another lco to pick it up mid season. Not smart business.

Cam15, sjessen and Mark Stark like this.
  5. Mark Stark

I never look at bids like that around here. Not even sure how to. Now I'm really curious.

There was a time when I considered having us bid more government work. Take advantage of some program I heard about for Veterans but it's such a boondoggle. We did a small state property and it was always a headache for me. :dizzy:

Cam15, sjessen and Doc8406 like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Matthews Lawn Care

They are hacks. It’s 2 guys in a beater. They don’t edge, blow off surfaces, etc. They had a lawn next to one of my customers for a short time. They literally directed as much clippings as they could onto my customers driveway and the street and didn’t bother blowing anything off. Cut was awful, it was a sad sight.

hort101, Cam15, sjessen and 1 other person like this.
  7. Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Silver Member

8. Mark Stark

Makes sense. Figured they weren't really "with it". They're rep is about to get a lot worse.

What's the mowing season like 32 weeks? They're going to do weekly service?

Doc8406 and Cam15 like this.
  9. Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Silver Member

10. OP
    OP
    Matthews Lawn Care

Our city posts any/all bids and results on their “agenda” on their website. They generally send everyone that has a city biz license a bid packet for their specified services.

I had an inside line on this since middle of last year, knew it was coming but hadn’t really decided if I wanted to be the guinea pig. Looks like it wouldn’t have mattered if I had bid it or not with the $22,500 bid, gee whiz.