Checking DC Controller

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by ArTurf, Apr 14, 2019.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Working with a Hunter XC Hybrid that won't turn on the only zone it has on it. I suppose when I manually turn on the zone I should see a brief voltage spike?

Any particular things to know when working with these vs. AC.

2. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Platinum Member

Check the ohms on the solenoid-should be about 5. This would be a short in AC but normal in DC.

mitchgo and Srlance31 like this.
  3. Srlance31

Srlance31 LawnSite Senior Member

Dc latching solenoid vs regular. Also check battery voltage.

4. OP
    OP
    ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Checked for a reading at terminals while putting in manual mode, notta.

Tried clearing/resetting, notta.

Checked voltage on battery pack and good but put new batteries in for the heck of it, notta.

Touched valve wires to battery pack terminals and bingo zone comes on.

Readout is goofy going to and from different points on dial. I'm pretty sure it's crapped out.

Shoulda check the date code for warranty, doesn't seem that long ago since I installed it, but.....time flies when you're having fun.

5. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Silver Member

The output is pulsed. You get a pulse of one polarity to latch the solenoid and open the valve and a pulse of the opposite polarity to unlatch the solenoid and close the valve. I have found that if the batteries are older and if you have a long enough run of cable between the controller and the valve you will have issues with the valves coming on and shutting off. I've used the Energizer AA sized lithium batteries with great success in the XC Hybrid. They last longer in extreme temperatures and they have a little more kick to them for higher load uses. Could be the your controller has crapped out too.

6. OP
    OP
    ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

It's worked good until now. Probably been in operation for at least a couple of years if not more. Also fire ants had worked their way into it, not a huge nest at this point but in there none the least, so maybe....

7. Srlance31

Srlance31 LawnSite Senior Member

Hook a solenoid to the controller while standing in front of it. If everything checks out (batteries, connections, etc.) and it fails to pulse the voltage to latch the DC latching solenoid, replace the controller.

1idejim likes this.
  8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I was comparing a/c and d/c controls and solenoids a few years back and wired a d/c solenoid into an a/c controller.

There was a loud pop.......

Seems station 2 hasn’t worked since.........

Love the Green Biz and Sprinkus like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

More less what I did. Touched wire to battery pack and it switched the solenoid

10. OP
    OP
    ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Good to know but no chance of this, I put in the system a couple of years ago. It's worked until now