1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Checking on any Altoz owner operators???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by GRASSKICKER1, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Matty74

Matty74 LawnSite Member

I think those mowers are more geared for the wild country in the hills of SE MN than in Rochester. Last time I drove by, I noticed most of them were of the tracked variety, which may prove useful in winter when equipped with a blade. A lot of dairy and livestock farms in that area. I'm an Iowa alum myself. Go Hawks. Love the avatar

2. troverman

troverman LawnSite Member
    from NH

Any more feedback? I'd never heard of these mowers. Suddenly the Ford dealership next to me is running a zero turn with tracks, something I'd never seen. I looked them up, it's an Altoz. He's trying to clear swampy grass that's 7 feet tall in front of his dealer. He has a Ventrac which gets stuck in the wet sections. Now I'm thinking I might want one...seems to be standard fare zero turn but with the exception of tracks. For me, my options were always a regular zero turn mower for finish lawns, or a Kubota tractor with a flail mower or brush hog.

3. Kody000

Kody000 LawnSite Member

I purchased a 766 with the rough terrain deck a few months ago if you’re not mulching trees with the thang. I think the finish cut deck has a faster blade tip speed. I like it pretty well I would recommend getting the two guards that they offer behind the deck. They also offer a straight blade kit for about 90 bucks plus the blades so if you don’t necessarily need swing blades under there and you don’t want to buy another deck to swap out. you can run straight blades on the rough trade deck.

4. Michael Gray

Michael Gray LawnSite Member

Nothing much to say yet on the 766i . I only have 8 hours on it so far . I used it to cut about 5 acres of low wet grass and some bad muddy areas that my 4x4 tractor was to heavy to mow. It was so strange how it just crossed over the soft wet soil and hardly left a mark right through the previous deep ruts my tractor left weeks earlier. The other nice thing was the ability to go down hill towards a ponds edge and still be able to back straight up hill where most z turn mowers would slide nose first into the pond.
    Anyway I don't know much more about this mower yet since there seems not to be anyone else owning this Altoz mowers. I wonder how durable the trax will be . I hope I'll gets years out of them before needing new ones.

20200518_193036.jpg

5. Michael Gray

Ok so now I've got 20 hours on the 766. I've been using this mower on fields and sewer plant levies that I normally cut with a bush hog type tractor. I still use my tractor on grass that is waist deep but now that the spring rains have stopped im able to use this mower in the place of my tractor. The 766 is much easier to transport to jobs in the city no huge truck and long trailer needed. This month I have cut 12 acres of bush hogging jobs with the altoz 766 managed to get it stuck in a swamp and almost lost it over the side of a sewer plant levie I was learning the hard way on the capability of the trac system yes its better than any normal wheeled mower but it can be stuck if you are to brave with it.
    I may add a rear bumper hitch to support a hitch mount wench to make it easier to pull it out of bad situations since I work alone. 20200620_220448.jpg

6. Oathkeeper

Oathkeeper LawnSite Member

Michael,
    Have you had an occasion to mow hilly terrain sideways with it?
    Thanks!

7. Michael Gray

Yes I currently mow two sewer plant lagoons. I mow them side to side . Ive mowed these same places since 2007 with ordinary z-turn mowers and the tracks definitely are safer and allows cutting when the ground is wet.

20200621_142355.jpg

8. Michael Gray

Thats not fresh water

20200621_112031.jpg

zlandman likes this.
  9. Michael Gray

Just finished a muddy field after a all night rain. I have actually started using this Altoz to replace my bush hog tractor on some of my jobs so much easier to transport to the field than a tractor and large trailer

20200628_122742.jpg

zlandman likes this.