Cheetah 61" front deck clipping blowback, clippings in lap/face

Ijustwantausername

LawnSite Silver Member
So I was reading the Altoz mower review and I saw the amount of clippings that thing throws on the foot/lap area.

My Cheetah does the same except not as bad. The stock high lift blades had to be removed the same day I bought it because I couldn't breath without a mask. Is there ANY way to avoid this? I switched to Oregon MED lift blades and that helped some but its still bad and the cut isn't as good.

The only other thing I can think of is that we've had a drier year than last year so maybe the damp ground helped. But I don't think its been noticeably drier.

I like mowing grass but this thing would be replaced if it didn't have such a great cut. My previous JD 737 never shot clippings in my lap/face, ever.

jflazerz

LawnSite Member
Thank you! Did that affect the cut quality or anything by lowering it?

Not that I have noticed , if anything it cuts better it seems like it dices up the clippings better & better suction , I'm using the stock highlift blades right now haven't tried my gator blades since I lowered it. Stripes extremely well on a nice lawn. Good luck!

RSK Property Maintenance

LawnSite Bronze Member
the cutting height makes the biggest difference. when i'm cutting at 4.5" it does a lot, and when the deck is dirty it does it more too, when i'm cutting at 3.5" or even 3.75" it doesn't do it nearly as much. i haven't adjusted my baffle, not even sure where i would find this piece under the deck, i would guess its the little shelf looking piece in the front of the deck?

OP
Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername

LawnSite Silver Member
the cutting height makes the biggest difference. when i'm cutting at 4.5" it does a lot, and when the deck is dirty it does it more too, when i'm cutting at 3.5" or even 3.75" it doesn't do it nearly as much. i haven't adjusted my baffle, not even sure where i would find this piece under the deck, i would guess its the little shelf looking piece in the front of the deck?

Yep exactly right. When I cut tall fescue it seems like all the clippings hit me in the face. But yes the Cheetah's baffle is in the front held on by about 4 or 5 screws, I can't remember exactly. I have to take that thing off every fall for the bagger baffle, makes a lot more suction.

jflazerz

LawnSite Member

RSK ,you should move that baffle down you will most likely like the results, it only takes about 10minutes , I think it is 9/16 , just a thought I had very noticeable difference

RSK Property Maintenance

LawnSite Bronze Member
Yep exactly right. When I cut tall fescue it seems like all the clippings hit me in the face. But yes the Cheetah's baffle is in the front held on by about 4 or 5 screws, I can't remember exactly. I have to take that thing off every fall for the bagger baffle, makes a lot more suction.

hmm i have owned my cheetah since 2012 never taken it off for the fall...

RSK ,you should move that baffle down you will most likely like the results, it only takes about 10minutes , I think it is 9/16 , just a thought I had very noticeable difference

i'll have to try that, more suction is better! although i run the gator blades spring to fall, so that messes with everything, stock blades sucked up more stuff the g6 but the g6 chop stuff a lot better which means less clumps. and all 3 high lift blades throws the clippings too far. so i'm gonna pick up another set of gator g6 blades i have the g5's which have less lift then the g6's but thanks for that tip!

RSK Property Maintenance

LawnSite Bronze Member
Really? Thats how long I've had mine. What bagger do you have? My Clamshell came with a baffle. From an aerial view the R side near the discharge widens out about 6 or 7 inches going under the R side blade.

I have the triple bag setup, I believe it holds more, and is much easier to remove then the clam shell so that is why i bought it.

Top Forums