Chem- App equipment for a beginner

Andy31

LawnSite Member
Howdy,

I was wondering if I might pick your brain on herbicide, fertilizer apps, etc.equipment.
I just passed my commercial applicators license and submitted all the required documents. OK anyway, I am trying to figure out the best setup to begin with.
I am currently maintaining properties from 10,000 sq' up to 8 acres. Turf area is 4000 sq' - 3 acres. St. Augustine and bermuda grass turfs. I would like to cover all the pest control and fertilizations of these properties, plus new ones.
My questions start with what kind of equipment would you recommend, skid sprayer? ride on? a good broadcaster? My budget will be my limiting factor as I was hoping to spend around $3,000 on my set up. Are you mostly doing sprays or granules?

Any advice you can give a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

LDH

LawnSite Bronze Member
200 gallon skid sprayer, 4 gallon backpack sprayer, and a spreader. Prodiamine is a good pre-emergent, triplet is a good post emergent. You can mix together for blanket apps, as they are compatible together. Get a used sprayer. You can pick them up for around $1,500 or so. You'll want a JD9 gun and 300 to 400 ft of hose. I prefer an electric hose reel but they're $500 to $700. Spray booms are nice too. The kind that you walk behind. You'll also need a measuring wheel for giving estimates, keeping records, etc.

LDH

LawnSite Bronze Member
Surf-King is a good surfactant too. Make sure your sprayer has agitation. I get my dye at Tractor Supply.

Ric

LawnSite Fanatic
Andy

You are not going to like my advice because it is HONEST. In the worst economy in 50 years you had better have your ducks in a row.

First Equipment you need is an Education so you don't have to ask questions like this one. You can get that Education by working for a Professional Lawn & Ornamental company that has a training program, Or take college courses about fertilizer and Plant Pest management.

OK you have the License But what is your marketing plan? Before you know what equipment or products you need to buy, you must first have a marketing plan.

OP
Andy31

Andy31

LawnSite Member
LDH thanks,
Do you have any advice of brand of skid sprayers? I mean would it be a mistake to buy a new Fimco LSS-280 for $2200 or like you said buy a used one, maybe a Lesco sprayer? Thanks for the tips on pre & post emergents.

Ric,
I am thankful for all advice. I do agree with you that being educated is important. However I am not in a position to work under a company to gain training. The more college courses that I take the more I am convinced that I can gain the same knowledge simply from reading books on the subjects. Could you recommend a reading list?

Thanks again guys for your input.
Andy

OP
Andy31

Andy31

LawnSite Member
Contact Turf Dawg and visit with him he is located in Gainesville and would probably be helpful. You can PM him through this site.
My original post was almost an exact copy of what I sent him just prior to posting it here. I agree he has been helpful to me before when I first joined here offered great local (TX) advice.

Exact Rototilling

LawnSite Fanatic
Andy

You are not going to like my advice because it is HONEST. In the worst economy in 50 years you had better have your ducks in a row.

First Equipment you need is an Education so you don't have to ask questions like this one. You can get that Education by working for a Professional Lawn & Ornamental company that has a training program, Or take college courses about fertilizer and Plant Pest management.

OK you have the License But what is your marketing plan? Before you know what equipment or products you need to buy, you must first have a marketing plan.

Not trying to hijack this thread but what Ric just stated basically confirms my concerns since I have considered getting licensed for apps. I know what the other application Co. in the area are charging for herbicide and my take is just stick to mowing, aeration a few renovations. In my area I put down fertilizer for only a few of my lawn clients. I just can’t see putting down fertilizer basically at cost with no real profit. I’d rather just mow - at least I make something off that. I do fully admit that aeration along with applications is more well rounded package and easier to sell. I have considered subbing out applications to another Co. as long as that is all they do. Time will tell.....

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
A few years into Apps now, and I do not regret just grabbing the bull by the horns and starting out myself trial and error. I would not want to work for someone else beforehand, no way. You learn A LOT by getting out there and doing it. If you are careful and diligent, you will not make gross errors.

At any rate OP, when you are ready, skip the skid and go ride on. IMHO.