1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Chemical License

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BIGRED30, Mar 26, 2007.

  1. BIGRED30

    BIGRED30 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 3

    Farly new at this do you have to get a chemical license or any kind of other license here in Texas for lawn care if so where at??
  2. txgrassguy

    txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,083

    The short answer is very much a yes.
    Where you obtained the chemicals you plan to apply is irrelevant, it doesn't matter if the homeowner bought it for you to apply, if you apply to a property not your own the State of Texas requires you to have a license.
    You can approach this two ways.
    1. Obtain a license through the auspices of the Texas Department of Agriculture, usually category 3A which is Turf and Ornamental. The pros are the license is easier to obtain, provided you are not a one man show and can document training to your employee(s), they can apply without your direct supervision. The cons is that this license will restrict you to outdoor applications, no interior pest control and insurance may be difficult to obtain in conjunction with your normal commercial liability carrier.
    2. You could obtain a Structural Pest Control License. The pros are you can apply to both the interior and exterior of a residence, commercial property or restaurant. Additionally, the Structural license will afford you much more flexibility to pursue more business. The cons are the license is much more difficult to obtain, insurances costs are greater than a 3A, only the license holder can apply and you are subject to a much more stringent record keeping requirement than the 3A.
    One thing to remember, when you acquire a license there is a mandated Continuing Education requirement which has to be met in order to renew your license prior to expiration.
    For more information simply call your local agricultural extension office for more details.
    Remember, anything you apply from over the counter round up to state restricted pesticides require records are maintained and are subject to review by the State for a period of at least two years.
    Enforcement is on the increase for non license holders, accessing the web site for the TDA will reveal penalties and fine structurers which are increasing.

Share This Page