1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Chemical sprays To Reduce Bush Trimming

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ed2hess, Feb 13, 2004.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I would like information on any experience that you guys have regarding the use of chemicals on bushes to reduce trimming. The main types are Ligustrum, Burford Holly and Wax Myrtle. I would like to know chemical name, cost, and when can it be applied. I know this stuff is expensive so any thoughts on whether it is cost effective.

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Primomaxx and Embark are two PGR's. I've used Primo on turf. It does work. Expensive ,at $120 per quart, but in the long run it saves time. Check the Pesticide forum, you"ll probably find more info there.

3. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

ARe you alking about growth regulators? There are a few , one is Embark, not sure if they even still make it or not??????? price ????

4. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless you have a contract I wouldnt worry about those things. We get paid to cut bushes, hell, I wish they would grow faster sometimes so I could get more money!

5. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

The chemical that you are asking about, are growth regulators and it can be used on lawns and ornamentals if you are a licenced pest app. reading the label would help in knowing when it could be applied, how much...

6. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Ed2Hess,
    From experiance I can tell you that Atrimec from PBI Gordon works well on the privet at the 1oz. per gallon rate applied right after late spring pruning/trimming. If you go to the high 2oz. rate per gallon you will be dealing with yellowing of the leaves (chlorosis) for much ot the season. My cost is about $2.15 a gallon of finished spray (1 oz. per gallon) and a 3 gallon backpack full ($6.45) goes a long way. As far as the other plants you asked about....You should read the label. Don't spray on hot days.
    This product will save you lots of $$$$$$$$$ and time on contract jobs, But don't waist your time using it otherwise as you will eliminate one pruning and lose $$$$$$$.

Pete D

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Pete....Atrimmec is what John Deere Landscape is selling but they didn't have any information. I was only planning on using it on commerical accounts that we trim a couple times a month.