1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 454

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Grass Happens, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking hard at a 91 chev k2500 with the 454, and was wondering what the gas mileage difference was with a 350. I realize that unloaded it will be much worse then the 350, but what about loaded with a 12-14' open trailer or pushing snow? Its a very vary clean truck with 105,000 miles on it, but if the 350 is a more efficient motor, I'll hold off.

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I think those that run 454 don't really pay any attention to fuel consumption.

I have a 3/4 with a 350... 11 in town with trailer. Better on the highway if I behave. I looked at a pickup with a 454 loved the power... But for what I am going the 350 is hard to beat.

3. DBFlawn

DBFlawn LawnSite Member

We have a 1999 Chevy 3500 454 105,000 miles with a 12 steel flat bed and get in the ball park of about 10 mpg. So I would think that the 2500 would get a little better.

Now I have never plowed snow before but if you get some wet snow I think you would deffinatly like the 454 better just for the extra power.

4. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1992 K3500 with a 454, with a stick and I get in about 7-8 mpg towing a loaded 14' open trailer and about 6mpg pushing snow. It will move a house, but wont pass a gas station.

5. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Look for a newer one with the 8.1 (496). They do get better mileage and still will pull the house and outhouse.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The older 454s with TBI injection are a little piggy but the power is nice. A 454 or any big block can get good mileage just drive them right. Stomping a 454 to the floor isn't the fuel saving way.

7. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

If it has the 3 speed automatic tranny... RUN! It'll get about 6 to 8 mpg.

8. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

well Like i said this thing is super clean, i haven't found one with the 5.7 around as nice as this. For most of my towing a 5.7 would suffice, but like i said this sucker is nice. no is the 4L80E, the overdrive TH-400. Which is actually the only problem, the reverse spring deal took a poop, which is why he is selling it so cheaply, as i would need to rebuild/replace the trans. but no rust, E range tires with 1500 miles on them, regular cab long bed. I just to want to go bankrupt fueling this thing, but if i could manage 10-12ish, it should do.

9. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

My dad has a special edition 1990 SS454 and I tell you that thing will get 8mgp idling. But man that power is awsome.

10. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

my 440 in my dodge gets about 8 when unloaded or loaded. It has a three speed in it. My buddy has a 454 and he gets about the same mileage as me when we take trips. Its a stump puller though.