Chipper question...

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by Outlawn, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Outlawn

Outlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, guys. Quick backstory before I ask my question: I owned and operated a lawn/landscape business for three seasons. Did a lot of tree jobs in the off seasons and, after selling the business, began work on a ranch. Worked there for about a year and a half and did A LOT of tree trimming. I’ve done a few tree jobs since quitting the ranch and working as an irrigation tech part time through the summer. (These are all second jobs as I’m a firefighter full-time)
    Recently, one of our helpers for the irrigation company trimmed some trees st my in-laws and I hauled off the brush to dump at our burn pile. I’ve hauled 3 dump trailer loads and still have probably 2 more.
    The company owner and I have talked about doing tree jobs in the off-season. We considered getting a chipper, especially after hauling off so much from this job. Probably not looking to get a huge chipper but if we get one that chips up to 3” branches, would it be worth it in y’all’s experiences? Is there much upkeep on the unit itself, aside from the engine? Also, does it seem to be worth it on jobs as far as not having to make multiple trips?
    Thanks, in advance.

2. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

Chipper knives, knife and anvil adjustments.
    Main drive belt(s).

Outlawn and hort101 like this.