• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Chipper suggestions

DeeTee

LawnSite Member
I’m looking for a small chipper/shredder to help minimize haul off from big cleanup jobs. It would need to be able to take 3”-4” material at the biggest. I’ve watched videos and searched and they all seem to be hit or miss. Let me know what y’all are using or would recommend. The local Echo dealer was trying to push the bear cat but I don’t know a thing about chippers, what’s good or bad and even what type works for what. I don’t cut any big trees just lots of pruning ornamental trees and cleanup of over grown propertys. Thanks for any advice

windflower

LawnSite Bronze Member
There are several good ones out there. How much room are you willing to have the thing take up? I've been using a 12 hp dr chipper for years. It works good and haven't broken a thing yet. They all take more time than you think they will but unless a dumpsite is very close are faster than hauling off debris. I leave it run while pruning and drop stuff in as I prune it. I leave the chips onsite as mulch.

OP
D

DeeTee

LawnSite Member
There are several good ones out there. How much room are you willing to have the thing take up? I've been using a 12 hp dr chipper for years. It works good and haven't broken a thing yet. They all take more time than you think they will but unless a dumpsite is very close are faster than hauling off debris. I leave it run while pruning and drop stuff in as I prune it. I leave the chips onsite as mulch.
Size isn’t a issue, thanks for the info on the dr brand I’ll look more into them. Always looked at the as home owner or ranch type thing

OP
D

DeeTee

LawnSite Member
I ended up buying a bear cat 3” chipper/shredder with a Subaru engine a while back when they had a promo with a free chain saw. It works good just wish it had a discharge like the one above does. The bear cat discharges onto the ground so you have to pick up all the mulch. I wanted one in the $2000 range to discharge into my dump trailer. Wish I would’ve seen the Jansen ones sooner.

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
We had a small troy bilt and found it worthless due to size. We then went to 6" and still found more bother than worth on most jobs. Easier to load on trailer and dump.