1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Chipper suggestions

Discussion in 'Tree Care Equipment' started by DeeTee, May 16, 2020.

1. DeeTee

DeeTee LawnSite Member
    from MS

I’m looking for a small chipper/shredder to help minimize haul off from big cleanup jobs. It would need to be able to take 3”-4” material at the biggest. I’ve watched videos and searched and they all seem to be hit or miss. Let me know what y’all are using or would recommend. The local Echo dealer was trying to push the bear cat but I don’t know a thing about chippers, what’s good or bad and even what type works for what. I don’t cut any big trees just lots of pruning ornamental trees and cleanup of over grown propertys. Thanks for any advice

2. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

There are several good ones out there. How much room are you willing to have the thing take up? I've been using a 12 hp dr chipper for years. It works good and haven't broken a thing yet. They all take more time than you think they will but unless a dumpsite is very close are faster than hauling off debris. I leave it run while pruning and drop stuff in as I prune it. I leave the chips onsite as mulch.

3. OP
    OP
    DeeTee

DeeTee LawnSite Member
    from MS

Size isn’t a issue, thanks for the info on the dr brand I’ll look more into them. Always looked at the as home owner or ranch type thing

4. OP
    OP
    DeeTee

DeeTee LawnSite Member
    from MS

What model DR do you have?