• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

chipper

awm

LawnSite Gold Member
Have chance to pick up 6hp chipper for 150
cost 600 new in june.Can money be made with
these things. never owned one.
By the way all this stuff is comming from a
truck driver that mowed pt time.
He came home unexpectedly when a load canceled
and found the wrong thing in his bedroom.
heck of a world aint it.He is cutting loose
everything.BY THE WAY I SAW CHIPPER EAT A BALL
BAT NOTHING FLAT. THANKS TM

Guido

LawnSite Silver Member
No good for making money. If its for around an old man's house where he has nothing better to do, it works good, but I wouldn't use it commercially unless you really have a problem dumping debris locally.

BTW, just a heads up, a lot of guys think they can throw the chipped mulch they made around the house, or the trees or whatever, but don't do that unless you treat it for insects and seal it. The ants a termites will go crazy for it, and when they're in that, they're on your shingles and framework or your tress, etc.

You got a good deal though, maybe you can make some omney selling it?

:)

Good Luck!

bob

LawnSite Platinum Member
A small chipper like that is good for home owners, but for commercial work you need something bigger. Either rent a large chipper or sub the work out to a tree company.

cantoo

LawnSite Silver Member
awm, I have 3 small chippers, whenever I have a small pruning job I usually throw one on the trailer to mulch up the prunings. This way most customers have somewhere that I can dump the mulch and I don't have to make a special trip to the dump with a trailer load of crap partway thru the day. The smallest one is only 3 feet square so it doesn't take up much trailer space. It's only 5 hp but it will chip up a fresh 3" branch.

OP
A

awm

LawnSite Gold Member
Thanks forthe advice.Ill probably let it
go.Spent enough mon lately.Now to
wait it out until ican get some return.

geogunn

LawnSite Gold Member
awm--buy it and just jeep it. I've got a bunch of non profittable toys, chipper included, but for making money, forget it.

GEO