Chipping brush for mulch beds vs burning it.

No gloves

LawnSite Senior Member
Closest I had to a chipper was a craftsman leaf vac with a side chipper.couldnt even handle pittosporum branches I tried to chip up for my beds.one of my lawns the people used to have a harbor freight one sitting in their backyard they used to use and it looks like they used to put twigs in it but it amounted to very little mulch for the effort

OakNut

LawnSite Platinum Member
I have one of these old Mighty Mac hammermill chipper/shredders.

I bought it when I started my business.
Someone told me "You'll never use it - it's easier to just haul debris to the dump."

He was right. I used it once at home (worked great), and it's been sitting ever since.
I gotta get rid of it.

OP
Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
I have one of these old Mighty Mac hammermill chipper/shredders.

I bought it when I started my business.
Someone told me "You'll never use it - it's easier to just haul debris to the dump."

He was right. I used it once at home (worked great), and it's been sitting ever since.
I gotta get rid of it.
Too bad you don't live closer!

jeffie b

LawnSite Member
I have an antique Lowe’s Troy built that will take up to 3” caliper, it’s not to bad where I normally dump is a swamp so if itts really wet I’ll chip.

BrandonV

LawnSite Fanatic
We have a big Vermeer chipper and use it for big pruning jobs. It’s not good for mulch. We pile it up and compost it and leaves from the fall. Make a different pile every year and let it compost for 2 years before using it. It works good.

windflower

LawnSite Bronze Member
You can get a good used one cheap. I paid $400 for a 12hp DR chipper. It gets used on all my pruning jobs. I just let it run and put the prunings in then rake them back under the plants I just pruned. Up to 3" or 4" inches deep has never been a problem. Only issue is you get different colors depending on what you prune.
Traffic is heavy around here so chipping is faster than hauling, plus I don't have to drag a trailer around. One of the best purchases I've ever made. Also have a 5hp bolens chipper that isn't worth the metal it is made of. It serves as a table base in the shop.