1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Christmas Lighting

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by NewLeaf, Oct 11, 2007.

1. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

no good deed goes unpunnished. As I mentioned I did that house and basically gave it away. But I did get experience and it paid for enough c7/c9 wire to do my house.

So then the builder of that house asked if I would do his house. I knew where this was going. I went out yesterday and looked at it. I guessed 600ft counting the ridge lines.

So I call the guy this morning. Now like I said this guy is a home builder for one, and he knows what I charged for the other house because him and that guy are friends. And to really mix things up. I do maintenance on this homebuilders spec homes until they get sold.

So I knew if I went in at 4-5 or 6 a foot he'd think I'm out of my mind. So I told him 3.00. I knew he wouldn't go for it. I'm just trying to get out of this and save as much face as possible.

He's said "1800.00!!!" for xmas lights. I said "I know I know". Look the spread is 2 - 4 per ft around here.

He then asked if I charged Robert 900.00 I said "No I took that job matching another bid and I'll never do that again."

So he told me he wants someone to do it for around 400.00 and I said I don't blame you keep looking and you'll find them but it ain't me and I'm just shooting you straight. I think I came out of it alright and hopefully he will still do other business with me.

Here is his house. 400.00 ahhaha stop!

P1010036.JPG

2. E.J.

E.J. LawnSite Member

How do you take that guy seriously. I mean he is a home builder and if anyone should have an idea, it would be him. I stopped giving deals this past week. Really, if people don't like the price, then they will have to do it on their own.

I have quickly learned a lot and this site is very helpful. Thanks to all the experts here!

3. hotrod1965

hotrod1965 LawnSite Senior Member

wow. I wouldn't give a deal at all. Look at those roof lines! I'm not sure $400 would even cover your costs once you count in ext. cords, timers, plugs, gas, bulbs, wire, clips.....
    We would get at least $2400 for 600 feet.

I always ask folks over the phone what thier budget is, then I have them give me an idea of what they want. Then I give them a rough price. This usually weeds out 50% of my 70% I don't close...

I guess I could see someone taking $400 for just the labor to put them up and then a little less to pull them down....

4. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

There is a lot of that roof that cant be done from the roof. Ladder work is time consuming.
    Even the $2400 would be a deal.

5. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

home builders are the worst customers to begin with. And the photo shows how much effort i put into it. I didn't even lower my window :)

Really what I've learned from here changes everything. I'll begin again next year and see how many jobs I can get with top dollar prices. Hell one job would be better than several priced too low. You can swing a cat around here and hit a yard guy doing it.

6. E.J.

E.J. LawnSite Member

Yeah, I am really glad you didn't take that job for the price! I am sure everyone else is too.

What is the reason for people not placing pics of their work on this site? Hokie, David, etc? I am working on getting some pictures to post for at least some critique from you guys.

7. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I will get some pics. Honestly, it is b/c I lost a good portion of my portfolio pics due to a computer prob and a failed backup. So I am in the process of redoing the pics as we speak.

Also, trying to get caught up on intalls. We have had 5 lost or partially lost days to rain in the last 3 1/2 weeks. I did not plan on that many lost days. So we are scrambling a bit.

8. hotrod1965

hotrod1965 LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a roof line pic. No lowers do to hungry dogs!!

ATT00035.jpg

9. E.J.

E.J. LawnSite Member

I am going to post some pics within the next week or so. Laying it all on the table and will see what everyone has to say. Stringing lights in 85 degree weather hasn't been fun the past few days. Northerners, PLEASE send us some cold weather ! haha

Hoakie, I know the feeling of being behind. I am about 3 days behind schedule from messing up my back. I have to be thankful though; my friends working for me are really picking up the pace and learning quickly.

My problem now is the fact I have completely run out of inventory and still receiving calls and clients doing their own up-selling (which is good, but not sure what I am going to do about materials). I started taking all the lights down from my roofline and oak tree tonight to use spread over a couple other jobs.

10. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

PRO Landscape has holiday lighting in the program and let's you design and quote from the photo rendering you make.