• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Christmas Lighting

E.J.

LawnSite Member
New to the forum everyone; this is my 2nd year doing lights. I work year round as a personal concierge.

David- if you dont mind me asking, why do you use a diferent manufacturer's bulbs from cord? Price, quality, service, etc.?

By the way, are we able to PM on this forum?

David Gretzmier

LawnSite Gold Member
HBL's bulbs are fine, I have been buying from bob up in Chicago for a few years now. Chrome plated base, good life and few broken bulbs in shipping. less expensive on purchase and shipping than HBL.

E.J.

LawnSite Member
Interesting. I will look into that.

Seeing as how this thread has such a general title, I assume it's game to talk anyting related to Christmas and Holiday decorating.

- Is there a computer program, besides the one Christmas Decor has, that will enable me to enter simple information and receive a detailed quote for clients on the spot. I have found my quoting ability to be a slow process; too slow.

- Also, biggest thing I am trying to overcome is the fact that a lot of my larger home wants want theri roof-ridging lit up this year; they have tile roofs though. I have considered hot glue and face upward on ridge line. I hear walking on tile roofs is hard because you will break tiles easily. How would I go about these ridge line installs?

hotrod1965

LawnSite Senior Member
Holiday Lights Designer is a nifty program. It will count out lights for you.

We just do a quick measure and ball park it and tell them we bill for how many lights we actually put up.

As far as tile, I have zero experience, we don't have roofs like there here. I have heard that all in one clips will clip to them. I bet Dave can shine some light onto that for you.

David Gretzmier

LawnSite Gold Member
tile,concrete, and slate roofs are dangerous for a couple of reasons. they do break very easily. they are slippery with dew and even humidity. there is a clip sold by Holiday Light Source out of texas that will work on thicker roof substances, will work on wood shakes as well.

hot glue and silicone will work as well. although I don't normally use hot glue/silicone on residential asphalt roofs, I will on hard surface roofs, but not wood.

E.J.

LawnSite Member
Thanks HR and Dave.

What is an average roofline and ridge measurement (in feet) for you guys in your areas? The last 5 houses I measures came up with rooflines around 180-200' and ridges around 220'-250'. Dave, that's nearly $3,000 (@ $6.50/foot); I tried it and the E.R. Doctor about died! haha