1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Church Camp Needs New Mower

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by imskofrvs, Jun 23, 2006.

1. imskofrvs

imskofrvs LawnSite Member

Camp Patmos, a Christian Church Camp for youth and Adults, is located on Kelleys Island, Ohio (Lake Erie) and is in need of a new riding lawn mower. Currently the camp is utilizing 1- John Deere 54" Zero Turn Rider (sorry I am not aware of the model) to maintain the campgrounds (approximately 25 acres). Though the Deere runs and cuts great, the camp desperately needs a second mower to help speed the cut time and lessen the load on the poor Deere.
    I have been asked by my cousin to research the best options for the camp and relay the information to the camp director. The camp would like another zero-turn rider with a minimum 60" cut...but I am open for other suggestions. The maintenance staff is very pleased with the John Deere; however being a non-profit Cristian Church Camp we have a limited budget to work with and need a quality unit.
    Any advice, recommendations, direction, or donations (tax deductible for full retail value) would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for you time
    Brad
    Camp Patmos - Christian Church Camp located on Kelleys Island, Ohio (Lake Erie). www.camppatmos.com

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

John Deere has special reduced pricing for registered Non-Profits

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

What is your church's budget? We can recommend a mower to fit your needs and budget if we know what it is.

4. rodneyskip

rodneyskip LawnSite Member
    from KY

That much acreage- Go with at least a 72" deck. John Deere offers a GREAT deal to non-profits (as MM said).

5. harryhomeowner

harryhomeowner LawnSite Member

6. imskofrvs

imskofrvs LawnSite Member

I wish I knew the budget...I am just a pawn in the information gathering stage with just enough information to know that this is the best source of information available to me. The camp had a large tractor with a large mowing deck (very old, cut very poor). The tractor took a dump on the maintenance staff and the director believes that a new tractor (or Zero Turn Rider) is the best option. I want to know all of the options to present to them (new Tractor - Cost/benefit & Zero Turn Rider - cost/benefit). I know that the camp was approached by a local dealer about "working out a deal" however after review the camp found the deal to be too expensive...again I do not know financial aspects.

I want to know what brands and models are available and which would serve our needs the best - I will then research cost and if reduction of price is available.
    Is there are clear-cut best option for the camp with 25 acres?
    Again thanks for your advice...it is appreciated.

7. lawnmaniac883

How long do they want to spend mowing? A few options that will last for a LONG time here:

A) John Deere 997; Diesel; 72'' deck. Those are pricey at close to 15k but will get the job done very quickly and efficiently.

B) John Deere 4000 series utility tractor equipped with a bush hog type rotary cutting deck such as this http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/GC/servlet/Attachment?attNmbr=2723M&prodNmbr=684DLV&tM=GC

You can see all the models of equipment available at www.deere.com . There are other manufacturers to consider as well but deere will probably be the easiest route to go. I hope their budget is high enough...ya'll are lookin at anywhere from 15-25k for a mower to cut this place.

8. rodneyskip

rodneyskip LawnSite Member
    from KY

Those are Suggested retail prices, again, Deere gives a substantial discount to non-profits. That would make it a lot less than retail.

9. lawnmaniac883

Actually, those are approximate prices...didnt think to look at the pricing guide thing on their website but deere does give breaks to non profit organizations...