Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
24,994 Posts
Bent blade or improperly adjusted wheels. To do that though, you'd about have to be doping a lot of starting and stopping where the mower is in one place for a few seconds or more. Have you double checked to make sure the blade isn't on upside down. It happens a lot more often than many realize or want to admit to doing LOL

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bent blade or improperly adjusted wheels. To do that though, you'd about have to be doping a lot of starting and stopping where the mower is in one place for a few seconds or more. Have you double checked to make sure the blade isn't on upside down. It happens a lot more often than many realize or want to admit to doing LOL
No stopping and starting, this is from continuous movement. Checked the blades, they seem to be installed according to instructions. They COULD be bent, but hard to tell since they are not straight by design. Mower is 3 weeks old, and wheels adjust all at once from one lever. Lawn IS bumpy, but still......old mower didn't do this.

Thanks.
Line Font Rectangle Parallel Drawing

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There may be some stopping and starting but it's caused by mowing an uneven surface. The lawn is bumpy, and the wheels are dropping into low spots.

Push down on the handle, taking weight off the front wheels. You will get a more even cut that way.

I don't know why it seems to be an electric mower thing.
Yes, the lawn IS bumpy, but previous mower didn't do this, so I'm having a hard time figuring out what's going on. This is continuous movement, no stop-and-start. Changed blades with no real change in the pattern. If it was only from bumps, wouldn't previous mower have done it too?
Could it be that the electric mower is so light weight that it floats on the Bermuda grass and causes the deck to bounce?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
I also have a Ryobi mower. That's what it does on a rough surface with dense turf. It is caused by the mower bouncing. Like I said before, it's an electric mower thing, and is more noticeable mowing shorter grass.

Pushing down on the handle and taking weight off the front wheels will eliminate most of the problem.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The Ryobi must be a lot lighter than my EGO. It doesn't float on my Bermuda at all, and is likely as heavy as any gas mower I have owned.

Not bashing Ryobi, because I own a lot of their power tools and they are great.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies. The only thing I can think of is the mower is actually floating on top of the Bermuda grass because it is so light. I always alternate the mowing direction, and it still does this. I'll try a sandbag on top next time I mow and see if it is better. Thanks again all!

That would be my first thought since the machine is so light weight and your grass looks pretty dense. I'm not familiar with bermuda but some St. Augustine grass lawns where I live (usually ones that have been cut too high with a push mower for years) get so dense that it's like a 5 inch layer of sponge on the ground and a light weight machine will do exactly what you show in your picture....just floats on top making for a choppy cut like that. Your weight idea will likely help but is not a long term solution imo.

Reactions: Ridin' Green

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
The rear wheels are a larger diameter than the front wheels. Had they designed the mower with larger front wheels, I think they could have avoided this problem. Larger wheels bridge the gaps and avoid falling into holes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I see this now and then in some of my neighbors lawns, but nowhere as severe. Usually it looks like where they turned to make the next pass. We all have Bermuda in a fairly new neighborhood, and it has already gotten pretty dense over most of it. That's what makes me think the floating idea makes sense along with the bumpy surface. The mower speeds up the blades when it senses too dense grass, but didn't do it in this area. I mow at about 1.25 inches, about every 4 days, to keep it green all the way down. My previous mower was another Ryobi electric, which mowed unevenly left to right. That mower died, this was a warranty replacement from Ryobi, supposedly their newest and best. The older mower didn't leave the circles, it left stripes! Looks like I can't win with the electric mower, as much as I like the convenience. They were both way lighter than my old Honda 21" mower.

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
I don't think any mower is going to leave a smooth finish on a bumpy Lawn cut at a height of 1.25 inches, not even a reel mower, which is what you really should be using at that height of cut.

You will need to cut taller or level your lawn.

I wish you all the luck in the world, but I just don't think a 62-pound mower has the ability to "float" on top of the grass.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts