Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bent blade or improperly adjusted wheels. To do that though, you'd about have to be doping a lot of starting and stopping where the mower is in one place for a few seconds or more. Have you double checked to make sure the blade isn't on upside down. It happens a lot more often than many realize or want to admit to doing LOL
No stopping and starting, this is from continuous movement. Checked the blades, they seem to be installed according to instructions. They COULD be bent, but hard to tell since they are not straight by design. Mower is 3 weeks old, and wheels adjust all at once from one lever. Lawn IS bumpy, but still......old mower didn't do this.

Thanks.
Line Font Rectangle Parallel Drawing

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There may be some stopping and starting but it's caused by mowing an uneven surface. The lawn is bumpy, and the wheels are dropping into low spots.

Push down on the handle, taking weight off the front wheels. You will get a more even cut that way.

I don't know why it seems to be an electric mower thing.
Yes, the lawn IS bumpy, but previous mower didn't do this, so I'm having a hard time figuring out what's going on. This is continuous movement, no stop-and-start. Changed blades with no real change in the pattern. If it was only from bumps, wouldn't previous mower have done it too?
Could it be that the electric mower is so light weight that it floats on the Bermuda grass and causes the deck to bounce?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to try the sandbag on top next mow and see if it helps. Mower weighs 62 lbs with the bateries. I'll post back with results.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I see this now and then in some of my neighbors lawns, but nowhere as severe. Usually it looks like where they turned to make the next pass. We all have Bermuda in a fairly new neighborhood, and it has already gotten pretty dense over most of it. That's what makes me think the floating idea makes sense along with the bumpy surface. The mower speeds up the blades when it senses too dense grass, but didn't do it in this area. I mow at about 1.25 inches, about every 4 days, to keep it green all the way down. My previous mower was another Ryobi electric, which mowed unevenly left to right. That mower died, this was a warranty replacement from Ryobi, supposedly their newest and best. The older mower didn't leave the circles, it left stripes! Looks like I can't win with the electric mower, as much as I like the convenience. They were both way lighter than my old Honda 21" mower.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
OK, tried sharpening and straightening the blades, no joy. Tried 10lb sandbag on mower, it DID make it lower to the ground, but still left circles. Went up one notch in height, 1/4 inch, helped a bit. Sped up walking speed, got rid of most of the circles. Looking for a good leveling service that uses a sand-topsoil mix.

Thanks again for the input!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I wish it was aliens, that would be easier to deal with. The yard IS very bumpy, house was built about 3 years ago in Georgia. The builders simply roughly leveled the ground, burying EVERYTHING left from construction in the fabulous Georgia red clay, then put Bermuda sod on top. Absolutely NO topsoil under it that wasn't part of the sod, so the bumps are going to be very hard to get rid of. I have the lawn plug-aerated at least once a year which has helped a bit, but the ground under the sod is so hard even soaking would only soften the turf, not the underlying clay. I think the only way to level it would be through repeated topdressing, which it looks like I'll have to get done in the fall.

Thanks again for all the advice!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
How many sq ft is this lawn? Do you have interest and budget to fix it right?
Lawn is about 5500 sq/ft. I have no idea what the going rate is here so I don't have a budget in mind. I have seen neighbors getting their lawns leveled here, but they used 100% common sand, which I don't really believe is the best approach. Then what do I know!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Wow....sorry I don't have unlimited funding to completely remove and replace the sod in my yard. Easy to say it should have been done right in the first place, so tell me how many home builders actually do it right, because NONE of the builders here in north Georgia seem to give an iota about the lawn. As a matter of fact the lawns, concrete and drainage are specifically excluded in the home warranty. If you saw what they do when they build, you would know that the lawn ends up the way it is, totally out of the home buyer's control. Of course, you can't tolerate anyone that may question doing it all your way, when all I ask for is advice that may help remedy the situation in a non-destructive way. If there is not a way to help the situation without replacing the lawn, just say it. Glad you can convince your clients yours is the only solution, I just hope you aren't as sarcastic with them in person as you are here. Ask me a question about Video some time and I'll see if I can be as sarcastic as you are. I appreciate the people that tried to help, I don't appreciate being mocked by people that don't care about helping.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Read what I told you, 40 years in Atlanta, cheapest and the best way to do it. You can do it yourself or hire some to do it for you......
The rant was NOT directed at you, sorry. I appreciate the information and most likely will follow your advice, the point I was trying to make is no one appreciates being belittled for a lack of knowlege or ability. I know this forum is for people seeking knowlege, or maybe fun for a group of professionals, but it shouldn't get sarcastic as I've seen in many threads here. I am a community leader on another forum, and we never get sarcastic with people, it just isn't called for. Have your fun, just remember you may not be dealing with your peers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts