Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
OK, tried sharpening and straightening the blades, no joy. Tried 10lb sandbag on mower, it DID make it lower to the ground, but still left circles. Went up one notch in height, 1/4 inch, helped a bit. Sped up walking speed, got rid of most of the circles. Looking for a good leveling service that uses a sand-topsoil mix.

Thanks again for the input!

Registered
Atmosphere Sky Blue World Electricity

Registered
Only a matter of time before somebody made the crop circles - aliens' connection, lol....:alien::ROFLMAO:
They too have fell in love with the grass lawn.

Reactions: Ridin' Green

Registered
If the yard is bumpy, then the easiest LONGTERM solution is to do one or both of the following.
1) water fairly well to moisten the top 1/2", then roll the yard to even out the high/low spots.... or
2) topdress the yard with material suitably matching the existing soil.

The turf looks nice and thick, so perhaps #1 would be the simplest at this time ... unless the lawn is scalped in the fall for overseeding, then I would topdress and rake level before doing the soaking/rolling.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I wish it was aliens, that would be easier to deal with. The yard IS very bumpy, house was built about 3 years ago in Georgia. The builders simply roughly leveled the ground, burying EVERYTHING left from construction in the fabulous Georgia red clay, then put Bermuda sod on top. Absolutely NO topsoil under it that wasn't part of the sod, so the bumps are going to be very hard to get rid of. I have the lawn plug-aerated at least once a year which has helped a bit, but the ground under the sod is so hard even soaking would only soften the turf, not the underlying clay. I think the only way to level it would be through repeated topdressing, which it looks like I'll have to get done in the fall.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
How many sq ft is this lawn? Do you have interest and budget to fix it right?
Lawn is about 5500 sq/ft. I have no idea what the going rate is here so I don't have a budget in mind. I have seen neighbors getting their lawns leveled here, but they used 100% common sand, which I don't really believe is the best approach. Then what do I know!

Registered
Aerate, add sandy loam evenly over the yard, river sand will do too. Like what was said, water it and roll it, may have to do this a few times.....

Registered
I wish it was aliens, that would be easier to deal with. The yard IS very bumpy, house was built about 3 years ago in Georgia. The builders simply roughly leveled the ground, burying EVERYTHING left from construction in the fabulous Georgia red clay, then put Bermuda sod on top. Absolutely NO topsoil under it that wasn't part of the sod, so the bumps are going to be very hard to get rid of. I have the lawn plug-aerated at least once a year which has helped a bit, but the ground under the sod is so hard even soaking would only soften the turf, not the underlying clay. I think the only way to level it would be through repeated topdressing, which it looks like I'll have to get done in the fall.
Thanks again for all the advice!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks for the info.

Registered
5500 sq ft is relatively small. Seems like the best way would be as follows-

Remove top 6-8 inches of material.
Install 6-8 inches of quality top soil.
Grade
Install irrigation
Seed

21 - 40 of 58 Posts