Lawn Care Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
25,004 Posts
Well guys, he bought the house and property which = buy once. Now he is finding out how bad the lawn is which = cry once. You gotta come up with something else to recommend now................................LOL

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
You missed it. Buy once is completely renovating the lawn and crying when you cut that check.

Vs endless attempts at leveling which won't ever really address the lack of topsoil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Wow....sorry I don't have unlimited funding to completely remove and replace the sod in my yard. Easy to say it should have been done right in the first place, so tell me how many home builders actually do it right, because NONE of the builders here in north Georgia seem to give an iota about the lawn. As a matter of fact the lawns, concrete and drainage are specifically excluded in the home warranty. If you saw what they do when they build, you would know that the lawn ends up the way it is, totally out of the home buyer's control. Of course, you can't tolerate anyone that may question doing it all your way, when all I ask for is advice that may help remedy the situation in a non-destructive way. If there is not a way to help the situation without replacing the lawn, just say it. Glad you can convince your clients yours is the only solution, I just hope you aren't as sarcastic with them in person as you are here. Ask me a question about Video some time and I'll see if I can be as sarcastic as you are. I appreciate the people that tried to help, I don't appreciate being mocked by people that don't care about helping.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Wow....sorry I don't have unlimited funding to completely remove and replace the sod in my yard. Easy to say it should have been done right in the first place, so tell me how many home builders actually do it right, because NONE of the builders here in north Georgia seem to give an iota about the lawn. As a matter of fact the lawns, concrete and drainage are specifically excluded in the home warranty. If you saw what they do when they build, you would know that the lawn ends up the way it is, totally out of the home buyer's control. Of course, you can't tolerate anyone that may question doing it all your way, when all I ask for is advice that may help remedy the situation in a non-destructive way. If there is not a way to help the situation without replacing the lawn, just say it. Glad you can convince your clients yours is the only solution, I just hope you aren't as sarcastic with them in person as you are here. Ask me a question about Video some time and I'll see if I can be as sarcastic as you are. I appreciate the people that tried to help, I don't appreciate being mocked by people that don't care about helping.
Whoa hold on there. I never mocked you. I merely made a suggestion. An expensive suggestion yes, a valid suggestion also yes.

I stated- to each their own. Certainly do what you feel is best.

More importantly what you need to understand is that this is social media. You are new here. The rest of us aren't. The rest of us come here to socialize and kick back and joke around as well as sharing information of interest. Please don't take banter between other members to mean anything, other than just fun spirited banter because that's what it is.

I apologize if I upset you, that was never my intent. I wish you well in your lawn improvement endeavors, whatever they end up being.

·
Registered
19,006 Posts
Read what I told you, 40 years in Atlanta, cheapest and the best way to do it. You can do it yourself or hire some to do it for you......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Read what I told you, 40 years in Atlanta, cheapest and the best way to do it. You can do it yourself or hire some to do it for you......
The rant was NOT directed at you, sorry. I appreciate the information and most likely will follow your advice, the point I was trying to make is no one appreciates being belittled for a lack of knowlege or ability. I know this forum is for people seeking knowlege, or maybe fun for a group of professionals, but it shouldn't get sarcastic as I've seen in many threads here. I am a community leader on another forum, and we never get sarcastic with people, it just isn't called for. Have your fun, just remember you may not be dealing with your peers.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
The rant was NOT directed at you, sorry. I appreciate the information and most likely will follow your advice, the point I was trying to make is no one appreciates being belittled for a lack of knowlege or ability. I know this forum is for people seeking knowlege, or maybe fun for a group of professionals, but it shouldn't get sarcastic as I've seen in many threads here. I am a community leader on another forum, and we never get sarcastic with people, it just isn't called for. Have your fun, just remember you may not be dealing with your peers.
I can't know your budget, or what you are willing /not willing to do without asking can I? Should I have assumed you wouldn't be interested in a complete renovation and never suggested it? Should I have assumed you wouldn't be interested in spending more on a renovation? I can't know your intent or your budget.

There are hundreds of inquiries similar to yours on this site every year. Everyone is different and has different comfort levels and budgets. When I realized you were upset did I not immediately switch gears and apologize?

There is another thread currently going on this site where money literally is no object to the client. Its not like I suggested something completely wrong or insane.

As I stated before, the intent never was to belittle mock or insult you. I apologize if it came off that way.

Take care

·
Registered
463 Posts
Funny you say that. I was thinking that as I typed my last post, but opted to not type it for whatever reason.

Agreed- Buy once, cry once.
I learned long ago that no matter what it is ... lawn reno, painting, whatever ... just go ahead and do it properly and get it over with because sooner or later that's what is going to happen anyway. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Cut it short as possible and bag it. Get sand delivered. Shovel sand to low spots. Use 2x4 to drag level and thin as possible but still flat. Seed over top. Water the crap out of it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I wish it was aliens, that would be easier to deal with. The yard IS very bumpy, house was built about 3 years ago in Georgia. The builders simply roughly leveled the ground, burying EVERYTHING left from construction in the fabulous Georgia red clay, then put Bermuda sod on top. Absolutely NO topsoil under it that wasn't part of the sod, so the bumps are going to be very hard to get rid of. I have the lawn plug-aerated at least once a year which has helped a bit, but the ground under the sod is so hard even soaking would only soften the turf, not the underlying clay. I think the only way to level it would be through repeated topdressing, which it looks like I'll have to get done in the fall.

Thanks again for all the advice!
That’s the ticket. Get it level.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Chill out. I’ve read this whole thread. Nobody is mocking anyone.
And you said there’s nothing a home buyer can do about it? Not true at all. Nobody is forcing the buyer to buy. Everyone has a choice.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
That’s the ticket. Get it level.

And.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone considered that the electric mower doesn't have the RPMs to cut the thick Bermuda and may have bogging issues. Here in Fl. professionally we will cut Bermuda with a rotary mower but needs a to generate a lot of blade tip speed. I would consider hiring someone with a commercial mower to cut it once at the same height and see if still does it. If not, then I would lean toward replacing the mower.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts