1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

city fees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by swn, May 16, 2001.

1. swn

swn LawnSite Member

I did a mulch job this afternoon at a bank in a neighboring county. When I finished and was cleaning up I noticed my worker talking to Barny Fife. He wanted to speak with me to find out if I had a city occuupational liscence. After I told him no, he was not happy. Said I had to call the courthouse tomorrow and pay a fee. I am liscenced, insured, and pay taxes. I do not want to do any wrong or violate any laws. I guess I should have been more responsible and checked into things like this, I know it is my fault. But, what makes me mad is that I did 2 jobs in that city(a real booming metropolis;) ), made both banks look lot better, was worn out from spreading all that mulch on top of everything else and here comes this police with the attitude that I was the biggest criminal around. Again, if I have to have it I will get it, but I was wondering if he stopped the seemingly hundreds of other guys I passed that were mowing, etc. to see if they were liscenced, insured, paying taxes or had an city occupational liscence.

2. TUCCI L&L

TUCCI L&L LawnSite Member

I was wondering the same thing, do you need a license for every city you work in or just the city your business is out of. Tough break, good luck

3. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Permits to do work vary in NJ town to town. I do all of my work mainly in 4 towns. 2 of them I need a permit. One is $30 per year and gets me nothing but the right to work there. The other is $10 and they let all permit holders dump grass and debris in their lot from town residents (with a provided list of residents).

The rules can change town to town so it is smart to check ahead of time to avoid lost time.

4. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I know of one town that makes you have a permit and they give you a sticker for the back of your vehicle. Then they charge 1% tax of what you make.