• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

city water and compost tea?

nc-jrock

LawnSite Member
How long should I let the water buble in a 35 gal. tank to ensure that there is no chlorine left in the water? or is there a better way of doing this? Thanks.

Landscape Poet

LawnSite Gold Member
How long should I let the water buble in a 35 gal. tank to ensure that there is no chlorine left in the water? or is there a better way of doing this? Thanks.
The general rule is 24 to 48 hours -assuming you are getting it agitated good - you could always use rain water too when possible.

ICT Bill

LawnSite Platinum Member
You will have to call your municipality to know for sure which they use

Chlorine can be gassed off, chloramine cannot. Chloramine is a bond between chlorine and ammonia, it is very stable and what is used in most modern water systems today, there are exceptions of course

Both are oxidizers, oxidizers......well......oxidize things

The simpliest thing to do is add something to the water that it can oxidize, an old shoe, bugers, humate, compost basically anything organic. The oxidizer will use up all of its energy on the organic matter that is added

Most city systems try to deliver chloramine at 4 PPM so you don't need a lot of organic matter to overcome the chlorine or chloramine

You don't need to bubble, in the case of chloramine it does no good, add a little compost to the water, it will use up its oxidize thing almost immediately and brew up some tea

ICT Bill

LawnSite Platinum Member
Like Bill said. You can gas off the chlorine, use humates or Vita D-Chlor, which is basically vitamin C.
Dusty, it doesn't "gas off" but the chlorine gets consumed by oxidizing the organic matter, it is almost immediate